My name is Dan, and I have a problem.....

Ren Rawbor

Fat Chance Fan
:LOL: The better half isn't overly happy with me, again... On our afternoon tip run I spotted this "gem" of a GT Outpost... Not even had a proper look over it yet so no solid date but I'm guessing post '98 as it's sans-Caratti import sticker & came with V-brakes. It's obviously lived a tough life & lived outdoors abandoned for the last few years going by the rust, seized RST 261s & moss/algae/lichen growth.

Has been loved at one point though, someone has got a pretty close match to spraybomb touch it up but sadly never heard of masking tape or stripping down. Thankfully they also don't appear to have owned sandpaper either & it doesn't look terrible underneath.

Anyway I know it's "just" an Outpost, just as the last tip rescue is "just" a Palomar, but there's huge nostalgia in there for me having grown up lusting after anything better than my old gaspipe Emmelles and Raleighs & GT was the brand that appealed most (Thanks in part to BMG Interactive and my favourite PS1 game Courier Crisis). Plan for this one is strip down and rebuild it to a "rider" standard, might keep the Altus or if/when it's too worn out upgrade it to some Alivio bits I have around. Anyhoos, just putting it on record that I seem to have developed a weird fetish for elderly low end GTs (at least until there's a Zaskar or LTS/RTS at the tip lol)

Gotta love the 10mm/QR "hybrid" post bolt... I do however love the WTB seat, shame its scuffed through both sides, will just have to keep it dry lol

Attachments

• 20231015_150907.jpg
    20231015_150907.jpg
    908.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231015_160547.jpg
    20231015_160547.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231015_160557.jpg
    20231015_160557.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231015_160659.jpg
    20231015_160659.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231015_160725.jpg
    20231015_160725.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231015_160735.jpg
    20231015_160735.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231015_160835.jpg
    20231015_160835.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 34
To me this vivid fever dream of bicyclery has left me in financial ruin and with erectile dysfunction
This is why I'm amazed that even Nabeaquam's Victorian has a saddle with a prostate relief built in, how on earth did that idea not catch on for another 100+ years?

I would consider it as a low cost environmentally-friendly hobby, good for your mental health and good keeping fit. 😉

I think I'm in a little less hot water now, the 18" frame is a good fit for the missus & after one patch, one tube and a good bath in WD40, brake cleaner & an oil up it's come around to riding actually very nicely indeed, everything works as it should, forks even freed up after a fashion. We took it to the local bike park yesterday and she actually hit a couple of the novice trails :D Must have enjoyed it as she's adopted the Outpost & even let me rescue an Iron Horse AT70 out of a skip (strictly for parts mind you, despite the fact I threw a couple of old tyres, a seat & 3 QR skewers at it & rode it around last night ;)

Think I probably will break it though, it's a Gripshift bike plus the wheels, CS & mechs will be nice replacements for the Altus equipped/mismatched wheels GT. Be a shame to see it go to scrap though, might throw the remains on >97 section for karma.

I think I'm in a little less hot water now, the 18" frame is a good fit for the missus & after one patch, one tube and a good bath in WD40, brake cleaner & an oil up it's come around to riding actually very nicely indeed, everything works as it should, forks even freed up after a fashion. We took it to the local bike park yesterday and she actually hit a couple of the novice trails :D Must have enjoyed it as she's adopted the Outpost & even let me rescue an Iron Horse AT70 out of a skip (strictly for parts mind you, despite the fact I threw a couple of old tyres, a seat & 3 QR skewers at it & rode it around last night ;)

Think I probably will break it though, it's a Gripshift bike plus the wheels, CS & mechs will be nice replacements for the Altus equipped/mismatched wheels GT. Be a shame to see it go to scrap though, might throw the remains on >97 section for karma.
Are you sure this isn't a concussed fever dream after she knocked you hard on the head?

It could well have been, save for the fact next door is still a moaning cow with no life... If she'd had a day off from being a nosy old windbag then I might've wondered.

Meant to get pics of the 'hoss but got sidetracked and now it's dark. Anyhoo, I found why it was probably skipped when looking it over. There's a nasty ding/chunk out of the left seat stay & it's pushed in a little too. Frame is scrap metal then. Ahh well, at least I don't have to feel bad breaking it now.

Back