Parts swap . Needless tinkering or not ?

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
I've just got a mid/late 80's Rourke that's kitted out with 600 Tri Colour . I suspect it's been updated components wise as it has a Super Record headset and the frame looks to be a few years older than the parts .
I also have a 77 Bob Jackson which came to me with 9 speed Veloce and a Chorus headset . I've put a mish mash of C Record , Croche d'aune and Record on it , basically it's what I had available and or liked . It has always niggled me that most of the components are 10 ish years younger than the frame and they don't quite gel.
There are other OCD type reasons driving my thoughts . When I started to have more bikes than I could possibly need I needed a way to keep things under control . I settled on Reynolds tubesets assembled by local builders or British that I'd dreamed of as a kid , kitted out with the Campagnolo components I'd also loved as a youth .
So , to the point , should I remove the perfectly good and extremely functional Shimano from the Rourke and replace it with the Campag from the BJ and then kit out the BJ with more period correct Campagnolo ? Or am I just tinkering for the sake of tinkering ? P1050737.JPG IMG_20230329_135110_689.jpg

Well that certainly tells me something ! Thanks gents . I would probably have burned my bridges and sold the 600 but the weight of public opinion would seem to suggest that would not be the wisest course .
What I might do is try the Nuovo Record solution on the BJ and if it's ruinous I'll back track .
The Croche d'aune rear mech is exceptionally smooth in it's shifting and the Deltas are perfectly adequate for someone my size .
I took the Mercian with Suntour , the other Rourke with 9 speed Record and the BJ out for a comparative spin recently and the BJ held its own very well aside from the convenience of the shifters on the newer Rourke there was little to choose between them .
I appreciate the input gents , thanks again .

Back