Parts swap . Needless tinkering or not ?

Well in a recent sad turn of events the Jackson was found to have a hole in the down tube . I know this needn't necessarily be the end of it's career but at the moment nothing is going to get done about it , I simply don't have the money or time .

P1060327.JPG

This turn of events has halved the needless tinkering . Every silver lining has a cloud or some such .
The Rourke frame needs tidying up a bit , there is a small amount of corrosion around the tt cable entry and exit points , not serious but it needs sorting . In the interim I thought I may as well fit up the Rourke as I had intended just to see if there were any compatibility issues , idle curiosity and general impatience . P1060333.JPG P1060334.JPG P1060335.JPG

I'll keep it like this until have have cleared the backlog of other jobs and then attend to it properly in one go .
As it stands the rear lever and mech are not the best of friends , to get 1st the lever is almost pointing at the bb . Everything else seems fine .

How did you get on with the delta brakes?
Lots of rumours about PIA to set up and then not necessarily working as the rider intends.
They are a PIA compared to side pulls but probably no worse than some canti's . Once you've worked out the method it's ok . The main issues are needing a spanner and an allen key to tighten them whilst holding the blocks where you want them {I use cable ties like an old 3rd hand tool } and snipping the cable short enough to get the cover back on . Like I say , once you've got a method they're ok{ish}

I'll keep it like this until have have cleared the backlog of other jobs and then attend to it properly in one go .
As it stands the rear lever and mech are not the best of friends , to get 1st the lever is almost pointing at the bb . Everything else seems fine .
That was always what I never liked about those retro friction shifters. They use a lot of movement per gear shift, so by the time you get to the big cogs, it's almost pointing backwards. The advantages of course, are the ability to fettle and get it just right as you change and the leverage is such that the cable is less likely to slip out of gear

Back