Bit damp garage & bike storage questions

SavagePower

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I have a 1995 almost mint Orange P7 Nickel plated bike and I was wondering if I put it in my slightly damp (when it pours [with rain] garage) will the P7 be ok? I don't want it to rust. The garage does get a bit damp in the air but it does dry out as well. Garage has no electricity (for a dehumidifier.)

Same questions for Titanium framed bikes..

...and the same question also for carbon framed bikes.

I rotate the bikes I use and so they will come out periodically but not for months at a time.

Having the bike(s) in my home is not an option (space not wife reasons).

Any sensible advice please?

Thank you

Re:

Take no chances, I put a Marin in and the paint flaked off the forks :facepalm: or how about wrap it in a bag bit like they do with classic cars.
Get the air out with a vacume.

If any of your steeds are specifically precious, you can always wrap them tightly in a plastic sheet/film (movers have huge Saran Wrap rolls that would work) with a 'Dry-Z-Air" chemical de-moisturizer/de-humidifier set in the middle of the bubble. I kept a beautiful BMW K1200S motorcycle out on an exposed deck for seven seasons with it wrapped up all winters that way, and it was still almost cosmetically perfect when I sold it two years ago (other than usual road use wear-and-tear).

Re:

My garage is damp but can't say I've had much trouble with my bikes. As long as you maintain them they'll be fine.

Invest in a good quality dehumidifier and keep is switched on 24x7.
Look at spending at least £100 on one that'll extract all the moisture out of there with a large volume tank and empty it daily.
Until then, look at putting trays - like bin-sized lids or kitty-litter trays - of salt in there which will soak up the mositure.
Dehumidifier is really your best option though without rebuilding or insulating the garage.
Hope this helps :)

Re:

Just for my toolbox I keep several of those little packets of silica gel that you get with shoes.
Keeps the tools nice and dry!
Kes

Re: Re:

scottproonly":38640k8m said:
Just for my toolbox I keep several of those little packets of silica gel that you get with shoes.
Keeps the tools nice and dry!
Kes
Wish I'd thought of that year's ago before my Halford sockets and Torx bits got rusty :LOL:

Another good little invention to use in a shed with minimal moisture ingress is those cupboard/wardrobe moisture catchers they sell in supermarkets, with silica balls in the base. About the size of a box of washing capsules. A few of those placed around a shed will do the trick too.

**Heads off to Sainsbury's...**

Back