Bit damp garage & bike storage questions

Sheds are often a pain because although they seem to be dry they actually capture and hold onto moisture which would otherwise dissipate during the day. I have a mid-80s GT that picked up rust speckling in a shed. I now keep it in a lean-to (and under a blanket to deal with dew) which is better, but, what helps most of all is maintenance. What you need to do is clean the frame with Autosol to remove the rust then use a chrome specific polish designed to protect it. The best I have come across is from an American company called Mothers Chrome Polish. Unfortunately, being in the UK rust is a constant threat and enclosed spaces just exacerbate this problem.

I should mention that titanium has no problems with moisture nor does carbon but do be aware of aluminium and steel parts used that will corrode and bind with these materials.

Re:

If you have power in your bike storage area buy a low wattage electric fan (10-15w), leave it on 24hrs a day and say goodbye to condensation issues.

Until we moved to Shropshire in January, my retro MTB was kept in my shed in the back garden. There was a river behind the shed, and most mornings te mist would envelope the shed like something out of a John Carpenter movie. Anyway, the MTB, snd the old road frame, various wheels and other bits all seemed fine, no rust or anything humidity related.

Just spiders. Lots, and lots, and lots, of spiders. Little ones, big ones, it was like the Lord of the Rings in there....

Anyway, I've put some of those pound shop moisture catchers in my garage and they seem to be working alright. To be honest, I'm more worried about my air brush compressor than I am about the bikes...

Re:

When I was about 12 my dad decided to let off a flea bomb in the shed to "do something about those bastard spiders"
All of the spiders exited the shed on mass, quite alive and moved back in later! :)
Kes

Back