Stem stuck into the frame tip

JoanFontcuberta

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,
I tried almost everything with a stem stuck in the frame. I can see the rust inside the tube when I remove the stem bolt. I sprayed a lot of WD40 and tried to hammer the stem down in order to unstuck but nothing is going on. What should I have to do? Cheers

Re:

Remove front wheel flip the frame upside down and hammer underneath (interior of the headtube) using some kind of long metal or wooden object that can reach the plunger. Apply some WD40. Alternatively, if that fails. Use vice or something that can hold the fork in place and twist the stem using the handle bars. (careful to not bend the forks).

Just remembered one more method that worked, I put the bike upside down and put a bar between the upper part of the forks and stood on the handle bars to keep in place, turning the bar to dislodge

Re:

In the knowledge that the other techniques suggested are good and may work, I will repeat Bill Rayment's excellent advice on the 'stuck seat post and stuck stem' problems.

1 walk away and do something more productive
2 apply force, repeatedly until you are bored, and sometimes heat
3 use time travel to go back to when it was installed and grease it properly

I have only ever had one which hasn't shifted. And I eventually succumbed to 1.

mattr":hpuj1551 said:
Have you freed the wedge from the stem yet?

I unscrew the stem bolt but the wedge is still inside :shock: . Probably is stuck with rust. By the way thanks, I think that I have to pull out the wedge in order to remove the stem

Re: Re:

Rank_21":1ad4nt3x said:
Remove front wheel flip the frame upside down and hammer underneath (interior of the headtube) using some kind of long metal or wooden object that can reach the plunger. Apply some WD40. Alternatively, if that fails. Use vice or something that can hold the fork in place and twist the stem using the handle bars. (careful to not bend the forks).

This should be the right solution, I mean the first one, I will try asap. Thanks

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":bbj291yi said:
In the knowledge that the other techniques suggested are good and may work, I will repeat Bill Rayment's excellent advice on the 'stuck seat post and stuck stem' problems.

1 walk away and do something more productive
2 apply force, repeatedly until you are bored, and sometimes heat
3 use time travel to go back to when it was installed and grease it properly

I have only ever had one which hasn't shifted. And I eventually succumbed to 1.

Thanks for your tips :LOL: Unfortunately I recently bought the bicycle and is in bad condition. I think that the last owner doesn't know anything about basics bike maintenance. The chain was dry like the driest desert in the world and he ruin out all the chainrings and the cassette. But now I would like to restore all this beautiful 90s shimano deore xt groupset.

The task is to break the bond of rust. You could also try pouring boiling water down the steerer, alternatively plumber's freeze spray. But it will come to brute force in the end.

hamster":3l5t17up said:
The task is to break the bond of rust. You could also try pouring boiling water down the steerer, alternatively plumber's freeze spray. But it will come to brute force in the end.

Thanks, now I have many methods to reach my goal :cool:

Back