Would site owners ever consider reform the categories?

As others have pointed out, the date debate has happened before; however, I sometimes think that there ought to be an 'Other bikes' category for those bikes, vintage or modern, that are not MTBs, road bikes or BMXs. That could include anything from Raleigh Choppers to recumbents to vintage hybrids to ladies' shoppers to kids' bikes . . . There might be some great, interesting bikes we never see just because they don't easily fit the three main categories on the site. I doubt if an 'Other bikes' section would be as popular as the existing sections but, as a way to mop up 'all the rest', it might be worth it.

Thanks mate
I didn’t expect any support and I’m very happy with things as they are
I’m just curious to know what people think. As radical as changes were - changes since have been off the scale.

I hope my original reply didn't come across as too blunt. I think it's a perfectly valid question and hence it gets asked so many times 😂

For me, there's never going to be a clear cut-off point on a timeline and even if you think you find one, someone will dig up exceptions that go against it (probably LGF) so 1997>1998 is at least as justifiable as any other and people get used to it. Everyone's preferences are going to be slightly different - I'd be happy enough if it was a year or two earlier, since I prefer cantis to v-brakes.

Personally it’s post 2000 but agree with the current format for the masses. Give it another 10 years or so and anything 2000 to 27.5/29 being normal will be classed as mid school, kinda like bmx. But that’s me, and my little world of though hahaha

97 cut off will not change, unless you want to be the one that moves all the posts from the 98 section over ;-)

The 98 section was never intended to be modern bikes, that was what the 'general area' was for. if for some reason wierd people wanted to talk about modern bikes on a retro bike forum.
It was for retro 98+ bikes, that could expand as modern then became retro....

But it wasn't used much and so people started to put proper modern 'shite' in there. It did give an area to chat with the familiar retro people.

As for other bikes like bikertons, 20s, Bromptons and other shite bikes stick em in general. #cycloshite

Pre 97 needs to stay regardless as that's where the main interest on the forum is. There could be a 'mid' section and modern but looking at the traffic in the 98+ section there isn't the demand. The 98+ BOTM got canned because of lack of interest and every time it's tried again the same happens!

My lack of interest may cloud my thoughts but very little seemed to change between say 1998 and 2010 bar the wholesale switch to discs + improving suss. After that wheels started getting bigger and from 2015ish geometry went bonkers. There are plenty of forums that cater for modern bikes but is there really a market for the middle bit?

. . .
As for other bikes like bikertons, 20s, Bromptons and other shite bikes stick em in general. #cycloshite
If other types of bike should go in 'General and Off Topic' the description should be changed because, currently, it's described as: 'Forum for discussing anything non-bike related you fancy. Keep it clean.'

And the Raleigh Chopper was not shite! :eek: Loved mine BITD. :cool:

As others have pointed out, the date debate has happened before; however, I sometimes think that there ought to be an 'Other bikes' category for those bikes, vintage or modern, that are not MTBs, road bikes or BMXs. That could include anything from Raleigh Choppers to recumbents to vintage hybrids to ladies' shoppers to kids' bikes . . . There might be some great, interesting bikes we never see just because they don't easily fit the three main categories on the site. I doubt if an 'Other bikes' section would be as popular as the existing sections but, as a way to mop up 'all the rest', it might be worth it.
I like the idea of an other bikes section too, as my love of bikes really covers everything, including ebikes. I think generally it's all good though.
If it was me, I'd probably have simply gone by decades, 70s 80s 90s etc, but that would probably be over simplifying it.

I like the idea of an other bikes section too, as my love of bikes really covers everything, including ebikes. I think generally it's all good though.
If it was me, I'd probably have simply gone by decades, 70s 80s 90s etc, but that would probably be over simplifying it.
It over simplifies it from the point of view when john started it. It'll have a section, that grew to have sales etc and they were interested in 80's and early 90s MTBs, add a Road and BMX section... then some people wanted some newer bikes area for up and coming retrobikes 5 or so years later and so the main people then thought, this is a good date since it's what I want my site to be.

Pass a few years more and it gets hard to change it all.
If it started out with a plan and hindsight that for some reason the forum would still be running 10 years later let alone 16 years later....
🤔 🤓 :LOL:

Can we have pre 89 section please......if the argument for 97 as a cut off is going to be based on a point where radical changes and cult status stopped.....

Most of that pioneering happened pre 90 surely.

So why do us pre 90 owners have to put up with all these samey new fangled 90 to 97 owners, with their boingy boingy forks etc.

Honestly.

Yours sincerely Major James Arbuthnot Pooley . Git.MBE. Bso . 5m swimming.

Back