Why are drop bars so narrow, ie 46cm max?

These look interesting so I have ordered some from ChinaView attachment 727334View attachment 727335View attachment 727336

Amusing pic with the grips outboard of the drop things. The latter can't be moved towards the stem that much, due to the increasing bar diameter, so they have probably moved them in by about a cm and the grips are just kind of floating there :)

It is a cheap way to get the hood width you want. A flat bar with back sweep, mounted so the bar ends point up, gives you flare, too. There are lots of different back swept bars available so cheaper to find a flare you like than shelling out on flared drops, if you go down that route. The sweep pointing fowards can give you another flared setup, too.

Amusing pic with the grips outboard of the drop things. The latter can't be moved towards the stem that much, due to the increasing bar diameter, so they have probably moved them in by about a cm and the grips are just kind of floating there :)

It is a cheap way to get the hood width you want. A flat bar with back sweep, mounted so the bar ends point up, gives you flare, too. There are lots of different back swept bars available so cheaper to find a flare you like than shelling out on flared drops, if you go down that route. The sweep pointing fowards can give you another flared setup, too.
Well on first impressions it seems like a brilliant idea, so they are on their way to me and I will report back....who knows?? my thinking is that if I fit them to a 720mm flat bar (on order) and space the drops about 500mm apart, I can mount a bar end mirror on the end of the overhang on the RHS and maybe cut the LHS (or leave it not sure yet). The other advantage that I can see straight away is that you will be able to use standard flat bar shifters which are way cheaper than sti brake/shifters, it should enable one to convert a flat bar bike to drops in about 20 mins....maybe ?.
Another brainwave is that TEKTRO make some drop bar levers specifically for V brakes that work really really well, so how about Tektro V brake levers (RL-520 @ £25 a pair) on the drops with V brakes and Tektro RL720 cyclo cross style top mounted levers as well with 3x8 flat bar shifters
I reckon it will work, so much so that I have ordered 2 pairs, I already have all the above parts, of course you also have the option to use bar end shifters.....the possibilities are endless :) :) :)
Maybe this is the antidote to one piece propitiatory stem/handlebar combos, so you can alter stem length, stem rise, drop bar spacing, flare angle, use any sifters you like and they can be used on any bike with flat bars....maybe I have discovered handlebar promised land :)
bar.jpg bar2.jpg droppy3.jpg droppy4.jpg

Last edited:
Well on first impressions it seems like a brilliant idea, so they are on their way to me and I will report back....who knows?? my thinking is that if I fit them to a 720mm flat bar (on order) and space the drops about 500mm apart, I can mount a bar end mirror on the end of the overhang on the RHS and maybe cut the LHS (or leave it not sure yet). The other advantage that I can see straight away is that you will be able to use standard flat bar shifters which are way cheaper than sti brake/shifters, it should enable one to convert a flat bar bike to drops in about 20 mins....maybe ?.
Another brainwave is that TEKTRO make some drop bar levers specifically for V brakes that work really really well, so how about Tektro V brake levers (RL-520 @ £25 a pair) on the drops with V brakes and Tektro RL720 cyclo cross style top mounted levers as well with 3x8 flat bar shifters
I reckon it will work, so much so that I have ordered 2 pairs, I already have all the above parts, of course you also have the option to use bar end shifters.....the possibilities are endless :) :) :)
Maybe this is the antidote to one piece propitiatory stem/handlebar combos, so you can alter stem length, stem rise, drop bar spacing, flare angle, use any sifters you like and they can be used on any bike with flat bars....maybe I have discovered handlebar promised land :)
View attachment 727639View attachment 727640View attachment 727641View attachment 727642

Remember that you will need levers on the flat bar that are for V's and "cross top" levers are for cantis/side pull as far as i am aware. Mini V brakes are an option with regular drop bar levers and cross tops but limit how tall a tyre you can use and not sure guards are possible.

Remember that you will need levers on the flat bar that are for V's and "cross top" levers are for cantis/side pull as far as i am aware. Mini V brakes are an option with regular drop bar levers and cross tops but limit how tall a tyre you can use and not sure guards are possible.
These are made specifically for V brakes, my mate has them and they work perfectly so I have ordered some, nice levers too with a release button to slacken the cable for wheel removel, I will report back on these drop attatchments, they look interesting

Last edited:
I used to run the largest Curve Walmers 750mm tip to tip! on my 29plus. It really worked as the centrifugal force of a 29plus wheel (which is massive) benefitted from the wider bars. I'm now down to a more "getting in the house friendly" 52cm Ritchey venturemax. I do miss all that bar space though a little. The Walmer 750 was designed for Curves own 29plus off road tourer the GMX.
IMG_20210515_160118_909~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_203302_332~2.jpg
    IMG_20210417_203302_332~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I used to run the largest Curve Walmers 750mm tip to tip! on my 29plus. It really worked as the centrifugal force of a 29plus wheel (which is massive) benefitted from the wider bars. I'm now down to a more "getting in the house friendly" 52cm Ritchey venturemax. I do miss all that bar space though a little. The Walmer 750 was designed for Curves own 29plus off road tourer the GMX.
View attachment 731578
Cool these arrived from China today, what do you reckon ?.....worth a try huhhh??

Attachments

• bar1.jpg
    bar1.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 10
  • bar2.jpg
    bar2.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 10
  • bar3.jpg
    bar3.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 9
Back