Why are drop bars so narrow, ie 46cm max?

Mangizmo

Raleigh Fan
So we are told that drop bars should ideally be the width of your shoulders, well I am not exactly a giant and my shoulders are 48cm wide, so why is it virtually impossible to get road bars wider than 46cm, I am talking about with on the tops not the width on the drops ? for this reason I find flat bars with bar ends is often the only way to get the width I want, I can just about tolerate 46cm bars, but would much prefer wider (say 50cm), there must be loads of other people that feel the same ???? or is it just me

Last edited:
I've got some Funn Widebars and Spank vibe core that are 50cm + 52cm. Reach on the Funn is a bit much though. Plenty out there is you look at 'gravel' bars and not all have too much flare.

There is a trend for going to narrower bars for aero benefits. However, I have been riding an aero bike this week with 440mm bars which I thought was a bit odd!

So we are told that drop bars should ideally be the width of your shoulders, well I am not exactly a giant and my shoulders are 48cm wide, so why is it virtually impossible to get road bars wider than 46cm, I am talking about with on the tops not the width on the drops ? for this reason I find flat bars with bar ends is often the only way to get the width I want, I can just about tolerate 46cm bars, but would much prefer wider (say 50cm), there must be loads of other people that feel the same ???? or is it just me

Drop handlebars marketed as gravel bars are getting wider and wider and go waaaayyyyyy beyond 46cm. They are for fitting enormous handlebar bags full of quilted wool shirts and for the control you need when your flip flops have come off the pedals on the way back home from the micro brewery.

Last edited:
The whole shoulder width thing is just a guide. Largely assumes you will be riding on the road, wanting some aerodynamic benefits and the rest of your bike position is set-up accordingly.

iu

I'd say the fashion of yester-year (50s - 80s) was narrower bars, and has crept up a little since. There will never be a point in making drop-bars for (competitive) road cycling more than what they are today. Lot's of choice out there now though as already mentioned due to recreational cycling and the gravel thing. Personally for the riding I do, I like a slightly wider drop-bar than "normal" (44cm c-c) and a narrower flat bar than "normal" ( retro cut down to 54cm :D ).

I don't really understand drop bars at all. People keep telling me they offer more hand positions but I have just found it to be a range of uncomfortable positions. The ergon grips on my riser bars give me much more support and comfort without needing to change position. All just seems to be a nonsense.

Saying all that, I would like to try a wider drop bar, just to see. My shoulders are 50cm apart so I would need at least that. My risers are all 760mm and that is very comfortable for me.

I got a NOS RX9 last year to play with and the thing that really bugged me was the bar width. Still does. I spend most of my time on the hoods (which makes braking in a hurry interesting) and couldn't get "on the drops" for any extended time. Have put a higher rise stem on to sort a bit of lower back twinge, which might raise them to a useable height, but I never really got being folded in half while riding. I want my head up when on a trail, not looking at the front tyre.

A set of wider bars, or flared is next on the list - though it'll involve replacing bar tape, which last time I tried needed a masters degree in patience, 85 years experience, witchcraft and copious amounts of swearing.

I've found road bikes to be twitchy as hell, so I don't really get the obsession with narrow bars.

Drop handlebars marketed as gravel bars are getting wider and wider and go waaaayyyyyy beyond 46cm. They are for fitting enormous handlebar bags full of quilted wool shirts and for the control you need when your flip flops have come off the pedals on the way back home from the micro brewery.

How does that happen? the flipflops are still clipped to the pedal.

How does that happen? the flipflops are still clipped to the pedal.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like flatties with realy well worn and slippy pins, or some Phil CHP with loose hemp straps. I am sure some fool will buy these new bikepacking pedals......

Crust clipless flip-flops available on April 1st from Woods Cyclery for the sweet price of just £299.

Seriously though; wtf is it with these clowns who go bikepacking with sandals? . Part of me thinks they put them on for a Radavist photo shoot and then stop pretending it is sensible.
I have had a snake take a lunge at a foot, as i cycled past it, for example and ONLY once in the whole of your life, as a kid and before you know better, do you ride with exposed toes and experience what happens to toes that end up being dragged down the road with the pedal behind your leg!!

Back