Building the bike nobody wanted. 1991 RidgeRunner.

Never too old to learn, now to find these bosses.
I cannot find them online (as well as a longer steerer) so I might email a bike recyclery(sp?) if they have some.
Thanks again for the help. 👍

Those are canti bosses unfortunately.
Inserts in the frame are M9, this is what the originals look like (let me find a picture)
Fairly sure this is the exact one.

It's #21 in the rectangle, #83C 9807 and #83C 9808
I'm close but now I need someone that has/makes them.
Surely they would be interchangeable with other frames (second hand) as they are 17mm tall.

Attachments

• ubrakebosses.jpg
    ubrakebosses.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6
  • BR-M733 Parts list.jpg
    BR-M733 Parts list.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ok, I get it now. That makes for an interesting challenge.

It looks like that place I linked to will custom-make screw in bosses. Or there are M9>M6 thread reducers available, if you can get U brake bosses in M6??

(But M9... why?! Same for M7 bolts in some stems... I just don't get it.)

Just go to any engineering shop, it won't be cheap, but i doubt they will charge you the earth. Or find a retired engineer with a hobby lathe in the shed.....they are normally desperate for projects to keep them out of the house...😂.

Postman came with a sorta NOS Shorty.
On the box it says50 but it's a 75mm.

Handlebars are not the ones I'm gonna use.
Just need a few bits more and two important ones are on their way from Britland in an envelope. 👍

shorty.jpg

20230524_143220.jpg

20230524_143120.jpg

20230524_143113.jpg

Got the steerer tube made, it's basically a 300mm RTS with the tapered bit machined off and the old retaining ring machined back in.
They didn't machine in a groove for the keyed lockring but I can work with that, it's not needed when tightened correctly.
Borrowed a tool from my LBS to saw off the excess thread, now I need to figure out just how much.
Should I just use a ring regardless just so the wrenches have easier access?

Unfortunately the mail with the 2 U-Brake bosses hasn't come in yet, that's a good 14 days. :(

front tange fork uncut.jpg

full tange fork uncut.jpg

Why not add a headlock / threadlock to it to keep it tight and save cutting the steerer?

Think Roly at bicyclist.cc had some

I'm not sure what that is mate, but I'll have a google.

Is it this?

Attachments

• Grey-Headlock-for-1-1.822-headsets-3[1].jpg
    Grey-Headlock-for-1-1.822-headsets-3[1].jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back