What is your Holy Grail among Japanese frame builders or marques?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Following on from these two threads.

So, we don't see so many Japanese made bikes or frames on here but what would your holy grail be? It could be a small 1-man-and-his-dog manufacturer that makes 50 frames a year, or a bigger company like Panasonic, Fuji or Bridgestone (though the latter was multinational, their frames were made in Japan).

For me, Zunow or 3Rensho. I didn't see these makers until the early 2000's when i got online (56k modem in them days), but they always had an appeal. A great attention to detail and some amazing painting.

ZUNOW-PINP-thumb.jpg

d2008527bcddcb88d210c91f25d61375.png

70075e7d403dcc2e2e7fb874ee5e1733--swag-road-racing.jpg

DSC_0362_large.jpg
images

I have always liked the look of Kalavinka, but I think the only way to get one outside Japan nowadays is to actually go there, buy one, and bring it home. Or find a Japanese middleman...

Thankfully I never really got into Japanese frame builders.☹️
I figure the best way of keeping my fleet size small is by being an exceptionally fussy bastard.🤣
Either that or simply... not look... for I might want...

Growing up on the west coast of Canada, Japanese built bikes were very common. As a kid I lusted over Nishiki's and Miyatas. Later on I learned about Zunows and have toyed with the idea of picking one up when the occasional one hits the used market locally.

Back