Venturi Columbus Genius Italian 🇮🇹 Fillet Brazed unique race MTB

Well the saddle arrived
A New Old Stock Selle Italia Turbo Lite weighing in at 215g

Put the WCS foam grips back on as wasn’t happy with the grey and couldn’t find anything I like in white (if only the grey were available in a white!)

The build is almost finished - the TISO seat binder bolt is on too

just have to set the brakes up and tweak the gears

And awaiting the Ritchey ZMax WCS tyres. Which will look much like these but weigh less

What do you think? I’ve tried to give it a ‘champagne’ theme in terms of components. Maybe black would’ve looked better

Attachments

• 507E6495-EB54-48B1-963F-2B24747BC2E1.jpeg
    507E6495-EB54-48B1-963F-2B24747BC2E1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • F75A1823-FB16-49D0-86BF-9B933C538B8A.jpeg
    F75A1823-FB16-49D0-86BF-9B933C538B8A.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
The saddle looks great - I hope you're happy with it after splashing out on NOS.

I really like the champagne and although black components would work, I much prefer it like that. In fact, the one thing I'm not so keen on is the grips. I do have/have had those Ritchey grips on several bikes, but mainly because I have quite a few pairs and don't like things going to waste. I'm honestly not keen on them aesthetically (the angular look never seems to fit in with any of my bikes) or more importantly functionally as although they are perfectly useable there are still grips I find more comfortable. They are light, but for light foam grips I prefer the Extralite ones. In terms of colour, my preference would be white, but another alternative that would help with the champagne components might be clear grips. I know there's black in the levers and shifters, so in some ways they fit on the bars, but otherwise the only blocks of black are the tyres, which are nicely separated by the skinwalls.

It's possible I'm too focused on saddle and grips matching - I'm going to take a look through my bikes and see whether I have any which don't follow that - maybe just my R20.

The saddle looks great - I hope you're happy with it after splashing out on NOS.

I really like the champagne and although black components would work, I much prefer it like that. In fact, the one thing I'm not so keen on is the grips. I do have/have had those Ritchey grips on several bikes, but mainly because I have quite a few pairs and don't like things going to waste. I'm honestly not keen on them aesthetically (the angular look never seems to fit in with any of my bikes) or more importantly functionally as although they are perfectly useable there are still grips I find more comfortable. They are light, but for light foam grips I prefer the Extralite ones. In terms of colour, my preference would be white, but another alternative that would help with the champagne components might be clear grips. I know there's black in the levers and shifters, so in some ways they fit on the bars, but otherwise the only blocks of black are the tyres, which are nicely separated by the skinwalls.

It's possible I'm too focused on saddle and grips matching - I'm going to take a look through my bikes and see whether I have any which don't follow that - maybe just my R20.
Will, thanks for the comments.
As I mentioned earlier I’m not happy with the cockpit - seems a bit nondescript considering the rest of the bike stands out.
I agree with you - it’s the one part I’m not happy about. I really like the grips - on my Bianchi! But they don’t suit this - @pw_pw_la here differs!
I tried grey but that colour clashes.
I’m going to see which white grips I can find and give those a go.
I tried searching for the Extralite foam grips in white and they’re available on eBay - in Australia! The Oury outside flange isn’t to my liking so I am going to see what else is out there. I can get some unbranded Chinese made ones but I can’t buy them after splashing out on premium stuff elsewhere - lock on grips im not keen on. So let’s see
Other alternate would be a black saddle and I was looking at a Vetta SL Ti, a Gipiemme and a IscaSelle

Nb. Clear grips, I did find a pair of ODI clear grips for a Dynatech I had and they looked really good. But personally I’d like to match the saddle if possible

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1906F316-BAFB-43FC-B2CC-9A9AEC6A0B6C.png
    1906F316-BAFB-43FC-B2CC-9A9AEC6A0B6C.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 9
  • CDDD576C-76A5-40DF-AB6C-2C40527D5AF7.png
    CDDD576C-76A5-40DF-AB6C-2C40527D5AF7.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just my two pennies worth - oury are super comfy and great for shock absorption, though like with saddles I guess it’s very much a personal thing. I also think they look good with end flanges. There are clear ones on the bay. Nice bike by the way!

Will, thanks for the comments.
As I mentioned earlier I’m not happy with the cockpit - seems a bit nondescript considering the rest of the bike stands out.
I agree with you - it’s the one part I’m not happy about. I really like the grips - on my Bianchi! But they don’t suit this - @pw_pw_la here differs!
I tried grey but that colour clashes.
I’m going to see which white grips I can find and give those a go.
I tried searching for the Extralite foam grips in white and they’re available on eBay - in Australia! The Oury outside flange isn’t to my liking so I am going to see what else is out there. I can get some unbranded Chinese made ones but I can’t buy them after splashing out on premium stuff elsewhere - lock on grips im not keen on. So let’s see
Other alternate would be a black saddle and I was looking at a Vetta SL Ti, a Gipiemme and a IscaSelle

Nb. Clear grips, I did find a pair of ODI clear grips for a Dynatech I had and they looked really good. But personally I’d like to match the saddle if possible

Ha!

Opinions, assholes, Etc.

Anyway, I think it looks really great. And I think the tires, logos and cables do enough to tie the black altogether. I also feel exactly the opposite way to KoF, which is that I personally haven't seen a bike with Ritchey foam grips that I don't think they suit.

But the main thing is: How do you feel!?

Ride it, is my suggestion. All the little things like grips you can switch out whenever a better or preferred, or just new option comes along. Don't get too hung-up on feeling like it isn't "perfect" yet. Nothing ever is! Bikes are made to to be ridden; components made to be replaced by need or whim. Maybe due to wear, maybe taste. A few years from now, who knows how this bike will look, but it'll be fun figuring it out and making those changes. And it'll be fun for us all to come back here and follow along with them!

And, you know, tell you all the things we'd do ourselves if it were ours! ; )

The bike looks great mate. And I bet it'll look even better from above, hurtling along some trail somewhere.

Oh, but yeah, get rid of those barends.

Deffo harshing the vibe!

Ha!

Opinions, assholes, Etc.

Anyway, I think it looks really great. And I think the tires, logos and cables do enough to tie the black altogether. I also feel exactly the opposite way to KoF, which is that I personally haven't seen a bike with Ritchey foam grips that I don't think they suit.

But the main thing is: How do you feel!?

Ride it, is my suggestion. All the little things like grips you can switch out whenever a better or preferred, or just new option comes along. Don't get too hung-up on feeling like it isn't "perfect" yet. Nothing ever is! Bikes are made to to be ridden; components made to be replaced by need or whim. Maybe due to wear, maybe taste. A few years from now, who knows how this bike will look, but it'll be fun figuring it out and making those changes. And it'll be fun for us all to come back here and follow along with them!

And, you know, tell you all the things we'd do ourselves if it were ours! ; )

The bike looks great mate. And I bet it'll look even better from above, hurtling along some trail somewhere.

Oh, but yeah, get rid of those barends.

Deffo harshing the vibe!
Bar ends were quickly disposed of! Urghhhh!!!
Thanks man, I’ve been getting a bit carried away!

PS. Now I want a white Turbo Lite for absolutely no reason.
So you must have done something right!
Haha! They’re quite rare - there’s a grey/black perforated one on eBay but apart from that there was this being sold by Brick Lane Bikes and I bought it!

Back