Columbus Genius fillet brazed Italian frame with Ritchey dropouts

And then there's this. This would not be all that difficult to do with powdercoat.

Makes the rest of the build easy. Shinier the better, I figure

Attachments

• Officina-Battaglin-Portofino-Premium-custom-road-bike_modern-oversized-Columbus-Spirit-lugged-...jpg
    Officina-Battaglin-Portofino-Premium-custom-road-bike_modern-oversized-Columbus-Spirit-lugged-...jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 38
And then there's this. This would not be all that difficult to do with powdercoat.

Makes the rest of the build easy. Shinier the better, I figure
That looks sweet!
I presume the paint is translucent allowing the brazing to be seen??

Either way. The red and green would be translucent top coats, just depends on whether I do a chrome base layer or just polish up the steel.

Problem with clear coat is, it may not start out as a ratbike but it'll become one quickly (and we live on the bay, so, very quickly)

In my mind, this can take off in one of three directions --

1. Annoying mini-doppleganger to the Mone La Roca. Bronze or root beer translucent topcoat with gunmetal-blue bits. I have some more or less period correct bontrager components I could use in that build, for at least one photo-op, although it'll very quickly grow some Renthal MX bars and EndlessBike singlespeed bits. Maybe (nay, certainly) slap some Barnacle forks on there. Heh! Sporting the biggest, nastiest Maxxis DHF I can cram in between em, and probably a disc brake to boot. Post that sucka up on /xbiking and call it a day
2. Source some FRM parts and make it pretty and possibly a worthwhile resto on some level. Post it up here and then be scared to ride it basically LOL. Tricolore color scheme but probably with a white base
3. I have a mid-level Shimano groupset on hand that's right-on-it period correct, I could polish that up and bling out the paint job. Good for riding down the bike path with the "ducati pout." Nice bike! Yes, I know. Chrome tricolore all the way; I want it to blind ya when the sun comes out. (My Harley is like that; there's no such thing as too much chrome IMO)

May come down to whether it comes with forks or not. If it's a complete, rare, vintage Italian frame I dunno that I want to make a habit out of bashing that thing through the phosphate mines, hurling it into alligator-infested ponds and whatnot. Probably deserves to be made pretty. If not, well then I got a light, supple frame for not much money that should be perfect for that kind of tomfoolery.

I imagine I'll do em all eventually, with an argument I think to start with #3 and maybe evolve toward #2 as I get my hands on parts. But, I'm only gonna have one chance to clearcoat a virgin frame, and that fact weighs heavily on me.

Look Ma! Copper Brake Lines! There's some steampunk for ya. Just need a big brass horn or two

Last edited:
Either way. The red and green would be translucent top coats, just depends on whether I do a chrome base layer or just polish up the steel.

Problem with clear coat is, it may not start out as a ratbike but it'll become one quickly (and we live on the bay, so, very quickly)

In my mind, this can take off in one of three directions --

1. Annoying mini-doppleganger to the Mone La Roca. Bronze or root beer translucent topcoat with gunmetal-blue bits. I have some more or less period correct bontrager components I could use in that build, for at least one photo-op, although it'll very quickly grow some Renthal MX bars and EndlessBike singlespeed bits. Maybe (nay, certainly) slap some Barnacle forks on there. Heh! Sporting the biggest, nastiest Maxxis DHF I can cram in between em, and probably a disc brake to boot. Post that sucka up on /xbiking and call it a day
2. Source some FRM parts and make it pretty and possibly a worthwhile resto on some level. Post it up here and then be scared to ride it basically LOL. Tricolore color scheme but probably with a white base
3. I have a mid-level Shimano groupset on hand that's right-on-it period correct, I could polish that up and bling out the paint job. Good for riding down the bike path with the "ducati pout." Nice bike! Yes, I know. Chrome tricolore all the way; I want it to blind ya when the sun comes out. (My Harley is like that; there's no such thing as too much chrome IMO)

May come down to whether it comes with forks or not. If it's a complete, rare, vintage Italian frame I dunno that I want to make a habit out of bashing that thing through the phosphate mines, hurling it into alligator-infested ponds and whatnot. Probably deserves to be made pretty. If not, well then I got a light, supple frame for not much money that should be perfect for that kind of tomfoolery.

I imagine I'll do em all eventually, with an argument I think to start with #3 and maybe evolve toward #2 as I get my hands on parts. But, I'm only gonna have one chance to clearcoat a virgin frame, and that fact weighs heavily on me.

Look Ma! Copper Brake Lines! There's some steampunk for ya. Just need a big brass horn or two
Sorry about the late reply !
Man, whatever you decide to do it’s going to be a cracker - I’m itching to see a build thread started!!
Makes sense to - after the paint job - (and all the ideas you mentioned are damn cool! The Mone la Roca is a thing of beauty ! The ) #3 and gravitate towards #2. If you don’t mind spending the cash -
Had the frame arrived?

Shipped, expected arrival in Feb, I'll update soon as it gets here

Radavist had a thing or two to say about clear coat over raw... Yeah I think #3 -> #2 may be the call

Last edited:
Frame is here, am headed out to look at it. Won't be able to mess with it for a couple of weeks due to work sched so if anybody has any questions or needs measurements or stuff let me know

Headtube 85x30mm
Seat tube 27.2
Spacing 135
Chainstay 419mm
Seat tube (center-top) 17 1/2 inches

No fork

Mostly shiny, a bit of surface corrosion especially around the cable guides.

I don't have a scale but it feels SUPER light

BB is 68mm, interestingly

Looks like they used silver solder, not brass.

Nice frame...

Attachments

• PXL_20221230_182931418.jpg
    PXL_20221230_182931418.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20221230_181523871.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221230_181523871.PORTRAIT.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20221230_181552552.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221230_181552552.PORTRAIT.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 22
More pics. Seller is out till end of jan

Attachments

• PXL_20221230_182212282.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221230_182212282.PORTRAIT.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221230_182224797.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221230_182224797.PORTRAIT.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 13
Hello, very glad that you like it. I think these frames were supposed to be built both with rigid or suspension forks; consider that the suspensions of the time had a very low gap like max 10cm
In case of rigid forks the FRM frames usually got a Ritchey Logic steel fork, we don't have any at the moment sorry but they re not difficult to find
I wish you a very happy new year!
Francesco

Back