Today's Ride

Another glorious morning: blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Chilly 3 degrees (woop woop) rising to 5-6 on the tops in the sun. Decided to subject myself to climbing so took the bumpy route out of Morvah across and down (and up) to Madron and Heamoor before popping into Penzance and Newlyn to tackle Chywoone Hill. With an average of 16% she's a lung-buster but perfectly doable.

I took a tiny single track road off to the right through to Lower Drift which was magic; big high stone walled either side, swooping through the hills before crossing the A30 at Lower Drift for the now well known route to Sancreed, Grumbla and home. Lovely stuff 🙌

Here's the top out of Morvar, more rolling hills than just on at Porthmeor and Gear Hill.

l7zbyL.jpg

Looking back to Penzance at the top of Chywoone Hill. It's steeper than it looks (doesn't everyone say that?)

4tdKCN.jpg

Lovely morning for it Al. Rather you than me, cycling up Chywoone hill 😅

Still that bright, dry weather from the chilly north hereabouts, so did a favourite local dales loop round Thixendale and Birdsall.

C3F3E422-F7E1-462F-9800-1FE3285A04FA.jpeg

FDB358BE-C8E2-4C42-9AA3-117F03B11CAA.jpeg

A reward at the top of each climb.

6F7DB9E8-ADAF-4E58-A044-DD13381945F5.jpeg

41F69BDF-CE72-4CDA-AE86-A772FCEEC483.jpeg

Would like to live in this abandoned house.

00EC304D-2139-4029-B028-9546755E6250.jpeg

Notable bird life included numerous demented pheasants, a hedge party of finches and yellowhammers, and a couple of low flying Typhoons (chasing each other in what must be some kind of mating ritual, given the season ...) Still no swallows though.

Hazy shade of morning.

Over the bridge and along the canal. Bit of a nip in the air. A brief pause to take a photo of t'mill, once an important employer in Mexborough, now stands derelict.

Continuing on under the railway at the station along a very short section of The Yorkshire Way, alongside the River Don . It passes the New York Bagel Company, with a strong aroma of cinnamon filling the air.

Then we're back on the road for a mile so, before crossing the canal spur, down the snicket behind Swinton Station to pick-up the canal proper towards Kilnhurst... on to the road again . Right at the lights, up the hill, passing the church, then left and across the fields and on to Rawmarsh.

The rest is by road. Traffic interferes with fun down Rawmarsh Hill as I divert down a side road to enjoy gravity. Before I know it the ride is over and I'm arriving at work.

Stumpjumper wins!
Ridgeback is defeated.
Stumpy is edgy, twitchy and quick steering. (and doesn't hurt)
Ridgeback is stable, planted and slower steering. Much steadier on a steep and tricky downhill buuuut it's not as much...fun...

It was about 2°c with a light breath of wind, nothing more. It didn't feel cold. Sunny.
Tomorrow beckons.

Oh, forgot to mention that we have swallows here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-180019_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-180019_Photos.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210414-175951_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-175951_Photos.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My goal today was to do some trail work, a couple of laps and then go get my covid jab..........but, my ankle appears to be sore and tender so did some light trail work and then went for a steady lap......chain snapped, ankle pain spiked so thought sod it and went back into the woods with the rake and shovel :(

Some days it just isnt meant to be hut the work will mean months of better riding hopefully.........

No pics cos I'm shit haha

Another chilly start, 2-3 in the shady spots, 4-5 in the sun, very slight breeze on the tops. Blue sky and golden sunshine all along the way.

The best tonic to a terrible working week. Hands up who's ridden a single speed to Chapel Carn Brea, the most westerly hill in the UK? Did you do it on an A'ha? After hitting that high (and the next one) just over, the only way was down to the sea. On the way I passed and went through last weeks wildfires on the heath. An incredible burnt peat smell was offset by a lovely piece of sweeping single-track. Not bad for the first off-road ride of 2021. The legs are feeling it now so need to up my game!

Fsozxr.jpg

LK5XUE.jpg

6CXAWx.jpg

Cot Valley is the dip on the horizon...

BXT7XC.jpg

...which is here, the very bottom before you hit the rocks. A cracking climb back out to HQ 🤣

Back