Today's Ride

After a day of rain yesterday, it was sunny today but with a chilly wind. I decided to adapt last Sunday's ride through various country lanes and villages: I increased the loop to just shy of 29 miles, taking in the villages of Barnsole, Ash, Hoaden and Elmstone; rode the loop the other way around; and used an off-road stretch towards the end. Farms, farms and more farms . . . And, weirdly, a physiotherapist in the middle of nowhere. 🤨

This would have been amusing if so many of the local, and ordinarily useful, road signs were not missing or twisted round so as to direct drivers through innocent folks' back gardens.
IMG_20210411_131403.jpg

Beautiful but windswept today.
IMG_20210411_132609.jpg

The village of Elmstone, where I stopped for cake and a drink. Some nice soul had placed pots of flowers on the tables and in a testament to the civility of quaint village life, they were not vandalised. There was something heartwarming about that.
IMG_20210411_134253.jpg

Elmstone:
IMG_20210411_135517.jpg

Finally managed a ride today - yay! But it was a commute to work... oh well, can't have it all my own way.

About 6 weeks ago I was offered an allotment, albeit a derelict one. Since then I've been slogging it out every day, come rain or shine, to get it to a state where I can even consider planting. This is where my riding time has gone.

This was my first ride on the Ridgeback. If I'm honest it was underwhelming, and I'm glad the frame and forks only cost a tenner. The C16r - which was also rigid with a flexstem - that I had last year was a nicer ride. Bottom rung Orange better than top rung Ridgeback -hmm.
I'm out of condition and my legs were really heavy, unable to carry much speed which may be an influence on my impression of the bike.

The ride in to work is a bit...well...rubbish, but the ride home has (many) miles of potential.

19 miles, 10°c, very light breeze. Sunny. Perfect conditions.

Rode to the Wentworth Woodhouse Estate. Had to walk through and past the house - dems da rules - before picking up NCN 67 TPT, through Elsecar, Bolton upon Dearne, Harlington, home.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-185313_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-185313_Gallery.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210412-185439_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-185439_Gallery.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210412-185546_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-185546_Gallery.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210412-185339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-185339_Gallery.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210412-185409_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-185409_Gallery.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If the Ridgeback continues to disappoint, the warm embrace of my garage would welcome it back down south with loving arms. ;)

Another crazy week meant more running time than riding. I did get out Friday but the universe said ah-ah-no with a puncture 4 miles in. Changing tyres when it's that cold takes so much longer than it should so by the time I was done, I needed to get back for work.

So great to be back in the saddle today, glorious blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Flipping cold 3, 1-2 in the sheltered spots but quickly "rising" to 5-6 when the sun came out over the hills. Slight easterly breeze.

I did a bit of recon to Ding Dong (no really!) and once again found out that Google Maps is unreliable with a road absolutely not a road 🤣 Still it meant a good amount of climbing and a fantastic view across Mounts Bay from the Lizard right across to Mousehole, in a spot I guess few people get too (second picture).

bLyXEW.jpg

mIteJU.jpg

You'd never think Penzance is down there hidden on the left.

Some beautiful scenery. Its good to see others out riding, very inspirational.

Sunny here today, the ground is still hard so went for a long ride around the field route i usually do a bit later in the year. It needs to be dry for the fields as there are a lot of miles on/across them.

Surprisingly not many people out, though while out on the road the other day i did notice a lot of people off with caravans etc, maybe all escaping now they can. There were a couple of dog walkers in the wooded sections, they were running really fast as usual and you can cover a lot of distance with out really noticing as its just so much fun. The sun started going behind clouds near the end but most of the open sections were in glorious sun. A couple of fields were freshly ploughed, another reason for riding the route later in the year, though only short sections so didn't really distract from the ride. I was taking it steady anyway, absolutely no rush today.

Just after the tunnel under the M1, which was really busy today, i came across a few piles of blue mud/soil, not sure what it was tbh, really strange, phone doesn't seem to have picked up just how bright it was. Later there is a pedestrian tunnel system that goes under the M1 and over the A617 where they join, not really used as kind of in the middle of nowhereness, during lockup though plenty have been there as every tunnel wall has been graffitied, and the council has also cleared the path leading back down into Doe Lea which i have always had to walk in the past, now its a fast downhill blast through the shrubs and trees, could almost let them off for not maintaining the roads after that :)

A long lazy, sun-drenched and hazy ride.

20210413_120002.jpg 20210413_120621.jpg 20210413_121837.jpg 20210413_124642.jpg 20210413_130111.jpg 20210413_130430.jpg 20210413_131007.jpg 20210413_132040.jpg 20210413_133543.jpg

Commute again today , no pics though, which is a shame as it was a stunner this morning, with a light frost dusting all that lay alongside the canal. Still working on a better route, looking for more 'off' and less 'road'.

The legs were not so heavy today which I'm really pleased about. However, I'm disappointed to report that for the first time in many years I'm properly saddle sore and it doesn't half sting: especially on a rigid bike with a flite. The exact same flite was on the C16r and it was comfortable - not now. This must be how Marcellus Wallace felt... only I've not been forced to wear a ball gag.

I'll take some photos in the morning.

Last edited:
Back