Today's Ride

Way too modern for around here ;)

<nah, it's cool>

Thankfully dry but darker start to the week's riding. Still but slightly chilly 7 rising to about 8 around 08:15. With a mainly dry weekend I headed back to the local trails and thoroughly enjoyed the dawn riding experience. A bit muddy in places but nothing crazy other than 1 of 2 people I saw the entire time tell me there was no riding allowed because of the by-law. True but I told him to cheer up :LOL: :facepalm:

1yGy9F.jpg

Had a bit of time to kill this evening so went for a quick ride in the Peak.

It is a short loop, though with the leaf cover and very wet roots it was very absorbing. The rain was persistent though hardly noticeable due to the terrain. Once in the woods it was very eerie with all the mist and made for an almost magical ride. After the waterfall the memory card in the camera was full, though most of the way back is uphill so just got my head down and battled through the rain and pain without much thought of my surroundings :)

Short but fun ride.

Attachments

• P1012678.JPG
    P1012678.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 405
  • P1012676.JPG
    P1012676.JPG
    878.2 KB · Views: 405
  • P1012674.JPG
    P1012674.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 405
  • P1012669.JPG
    P1012669.JPG
    717.7 KB · Views: 405
  • P1012665.JPG
    P1012665.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 405
  • P1012664.JPG
    P1012664.JPG
    752.1 KB · Views: 405
Murky.

Yesterday was another right-off and once again the weather forecast was totally wrong, with the rain starting about 07:00 and staying for the rest of the day.

This morning, apparently, it was 9 degrees. Rubbish, more like 7 down to 6 in patches even in the city. Still very damp and wet in places but nothing falling from the sky.

ebjOcX.jpg

That's Shooters Hill in the centre, not a cloud ;) The road on the left is the start of the London marathon so I have some great memories of that. There's no way you can run down there in the morning, it's choc-a-block, like all the roads around Blackheath at this time of day.

al-onestare":91ep2z5p said:
it's choc-a-block, like all the roads around Blackheath at this time of day.

For all the 19 years that I had to commute in London, (either on 2 wheels or by train) I could never understand where all those cars were trying to get to at 10 minutes to 9....

Peachy!":3oaz93zz said:
al-onestare":3oaz93zz said:
it's choc-a-block, like all the roads around Blackheath at this time of day.

For all the 19 years that I had to commute in London, (either on 2 wheels or by train) I could never understand where all those cars were trying to get to at 10 minutes to 9....

This was before half 7. With COVID thanks to our feckless overlords and over reliance on private transport, the roads are notably more busy at peak times and the peak times are longer, a good hour longer either side I've noticed. Even early doors, Saturday mornings are more busier than normal.

That doesn't answer your question though... :LOL:

Re:

No pic's today but excellent ride in the dark, transitioning to dawn and early morning. Plenty of mud but nothing too deep, plenty of pebbledash :LOL: A slightly chilly 7 with no change by 08:15 so had to put on a thicker jacket. The Team Explosif is caked.

Had a couple of hours to spare this morning so went up to and around the red trail at Sherwood Pines.

Lovely warm sunny day, and being in the woods most the time there was no breeze so hard for me to catch my breath sometimes. Had so stop a few times at the end of sections to recover, either my arms from holding on, my legs from pumping through the bumps or my breath from trying to keep a bit of speed up.

A few people up there this morning, all on full suss bikes so able to carry their speed through the rough sections. Managed to stay on the tail of a couple of faster riders through a couple of sections, noticed they were able to stay seated a lot of the time, where as i was stood all the way. Great fun.

There are a couple of new features, on set is on a slight downhill section, they have built 3 small stepdowns, one after the other, great now i know they are there but not so clever as it spits you out and across one of the popular walking tracks :? and also no way around them which means commitment on the way down and walking on the way up, for those that ride the track in reverse at night.

A fun little blast, only pics are of trees and not great as only took when and where i stopped.

Attachments

• P1012682.JPG
    P1012682.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 622
  • P1012681.JPG
    P1012681.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 622
  • P1012680.JPG
    P1012680.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 622
  • P1012679.JPG
    P1012679.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 622
Re:

Chilly out, 6 and defo felt less in spots by the river. Thankfully not much of a breeze and dry! Bit cloudy. I don't know about you but I funking love cycling.

Here's the barrier from it's exit (or entry) side. Amazing how much quieter the roads are on a Friday. I wonder where everyone has gone... :roll: :LOL:

BQusfg.jpg

Re:

Guess what happened next? Train nearing. Ahh, this will make a nice motif! Busy taking selfies. Train passing through under the bridge, wind blowing, bike falling over, nos (well, 13 years old) XTR derailleur scratched :twisted:
Midweek, while my regular workout since lockdown, the crankbolt came loose and I just noticed it after riding 15 km uphill when the right crankarm nearly fell off (modern stuff, don't have a torque wrench) and had to walk to the next garage and borrow an allen key. I was convinced that I must have ruined it (luckily it wasn't) :facepalm:
These moments when you could give yourself a whipping :LOL:

Attachments

• PXL_20201017_122317839~2.jpg
    PXL_20201017_122317839~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 839
Back