Today's Ride

al-onestare":366zh141 said:
Nice shots. Picking up on your comment the other day, what phone/camera are you using? The resolution seems a bit low and some of those vista's probably look more epic than the pictures reflect.

Here's the tunnel entrance/exit at Elmstead Woods. So many people go through them but would never see it like this.

dYcvvG.jpg

Thanks, and i am using an old compact, had it for years and ideal for mountains, though you have got me looking for a more modern one, they seem to have moved on quite a bit :LOL: though the big advantage of mine is it uses AA batteries so its trying to find a better specced one that takes them also. And thinking about it my phone probably has a lot better camera, always forget its in the bottom of my bag.

Is that tunnel the one that goes from overground to underground?

mk one":1nnwvmf9 said:
al-onestare":1nnwvmf9 said:
Nice shots. Picking up on your comment the other day, what phone/camera are you using? The resolution seems a bit low and some of those vista's probably look more epic than the pictures reflect.

Here's the tunnel entrance/exit at Elmstead Woods. So many people go through them but would never see it like this.

dYcvvG.jpg

Thanks, and i am using an old compact, had it for years and ideal for mountains, though you have got me looking for a more modern one, they seem to have moved on quite a bit :LOL: though the big advantage of mine is it uses AA batteries so its trying to find a better specced one that takes them also. And thinking about it my phone probably has a lot better camera, always forget its in the bottom of my bag.

Is that tunnel the one that goes from overground to underground?

If you've got a phone with a decent camera then you could leave the camera at home; one less thing to carry.

The tunnel is totally over-ground. It's the main-line out to Sevenoaks and beyond. The tube barely touches the south-east suburbs although the Bakerloo line extension originally had plans to go out as far as Bromley :shock:

Might have to try the camera next ride, if i remember. Actually had to find it out of the bag today as someone rang mid ride but still didnt think to use the camera on it :roll:

Anyway, dog sitting so quick local loop, actually rode backwards around one which meant more uphill but it was actually ok as i was feeling a bit fresher than of late, LOTR type voice came into my head as i typed that :)

The day was warm, even more when the sun came out briefly, the trails were damp but still hard so were fun to ride, the woods are starting to get a lot of leaf cover on the floor so the fun of hitting every hidden root is finally returning :|

Another short but fun ride.

Attachments

• P1012622.JPG
    P1012622.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 719
  • P1012618.JPG
    P1012618.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 719
  • P1012612.JPG
    P1012612.JPG
    622.3 KB · Views: 719
  • P1012609.JPG
    P1012609.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 719
  • P1012603.JPG
    P1012603.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 719
Shocking weather down here this weekend. No ride this morning for the same reason so went for a proper-sodden run.

We're shifting back to garage tinkering and road-riding season.

Re:

Been neglecting duties recently. Might have something to do with moving... Anyway, today was old but new.

The Trans Pennine Trail will be less than a mile from my front door when I settle in, which will be in a couple of weeks, all being well. It encompasses many trails I rode when I was young that have been linked together forming NCN62 - brilliant!

Miserable weather,
but undeterred and wrapped up I went for a wander. First across what used to be Cadeby Colliery, towards the viaduct.

Once done with that I picked up the trail towards Sprotborough, then on to Scawthorpe, through to Woodlands. Then towards Brodsworth and the former site of Markham Main Colliery.

Most of the TPT is paved in this area, which is disappointing: and treacherous in the wet. Had a huge moment on a deceptively slick right hander, losing the front, saved it, to then have the back come around, and slide off the path speedway style. Must have looked mightily impressive ;) .

Got a bit lost as I'm still getting disoriented - that'll be the Labyrinthitis again.

The TPT became the Doncaster Greenway as the signs petered out. Nicked most likely as I encountered several posts with no signs.

Still, 25 miles later I was back home satisfied with my efforts, despite being cold and soaked.

13°c with steady unrelenting drizzle.
Everyday is a beautiful day after a good ride - great buzz. Bit of a ramble, just like the text.

Attachments

• 20201003_110731.jpg
    20201003_110731.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_110746.jpg
    20201003_110746.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_111134.jpg
    20201003_111134.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_111333.jpg
    20201003_111333.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_125552.jpg
    20201003_125552.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_105512_001.jpg
    20201003_105512_001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_125924.jpg
    20201003_125924.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 660
  • 20201003_120813.jpg
    20201003_120813.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 660
al-onestare":2sr18551 said:
Shocking weather down here this weekend. No ride this morning for the same reason so went for a proper-sodden run.

We're shifting back to garage tinkering and road-riding season.

I can't remember the last time we had 2 days of solid rain. This weekend was a solid washout with barely 10 minutes total of nothing falling from the sky. Yesterday was particularly wet with heavy, steady rain all day so no rides, no runs just four super-wet walks with Coop :x

Thankfully this morning was rain free if not squelchy and slippy in places. Thank goodness the Esatto will finally be ready to ride tomorrow. Not too chilly 10 rising to 11 at 08:00. I found this glowing thing in the sky...

jpITP8.jpg

i3TDLp.jpg

Well yesterday not today....but even though the South Downs were hard-hit by Storm Alex, we got out for a 20k loop, carefully selected to provide downhill into the wind and uphill with the wind behind us. The woods were full of recently detached huge branches, which made us think about not being underneath anything as it fell. Focuses the mind when the tops of trees were rocking back and forth two or three metres in the extreme wind. Having to pedal on steep downhills just to keep going was entertaining, as was mud. Mud! After dusty trails for seven months, getting a winter skunk mark took me back to much earlier tines, to what now feels like a different century. Horizontal rain which seared and scoured our faces our faces seemed more akin to the Alps than Sussex. The chalk tracks were strangely grippy despite a soaking. These can be lethally slippy getting into autumn, which points to invisible algae and slime on the surface of winter chalk rather than the rock itself. Conversation was pretty shouty, but we covered a lot of issues as usual...kids...gear...future....past. Two hours out we decided that we could do another 10-20k and make it a miserable epic, or head back for coffee with a warm glow of having gone out at all. We decided to pull the plug, feeling smug that we had got out at all....

Re:

More rain overnight but thankfully none this morning, 10-11 with a steady breeze rising to 13 by 08:00. Kept it mostly on the tarmac bar a few sections on bridleways which were super mucky. Mr. Moon said hello.

nbgz1S.jpg

All fingers and toes crossed for a) picking up the Esatto from the LBS and b) safe transit of the gold 96 Kapu to HQ (it was picked up yesterday).

Back