The Unofficial Official Photography Thread...

The last couple from me were taken with a 20yr old 400D with the crappy kit lens.. I used to have some decent (fast) lenses but I sold them when my kid was a toddler cos he kept touching them with his sticky kid-fingers.
It’s been bombproof, I’ve dropped it off rocks and all sorts.. nowadays I just use it for underground photography, draining and such, low light where is doesn’t matter if it gets wet and muddy.

I pad. Can’t even buy film locally. My son is a film maker and editor in NYC. For the last 4 years he hasn’t been able to buy movie film there. He has to order it from California. It takes a long time to get it as they concentrate on the big production company orders and put small orders on the back burner. He still uses it but not as much as he once did. He once had three movie film cameras but now has only one. He bought the only one he used from a California company that was filming a movie in NYC and the photographer said it was excess stock and film was pretty much out. He got a real deal on the camera but lenses are $2000 each. Everything else you need you have to buy separately, like heated eyepieces, electric drive, charger, etc. You can’t use it without spending a fortune. He can sometimes rent it out to others to get some of the cost back.

I Have a Nikon D90 with 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens, Grip & all the rest of the trimmings.
I bought it around 2016 and think it was around £900 with the lens since added a remote flash, grip to hold two batteries etc.
Probably worth around £1000 to me, but worth next to nothing now which is why I've not sold it!
I used it for Urban Exploring but when that died off I completely lost my mojo for it, well that & phone cameras became so good & can be carried in your pocket!
I'd love to get back into it tbh but is there really any point in carrying all that gear when someone whips their phone out a snaps something in seconds... 🤔

Does anyone actually use a camera here or are they mostly mobile phone pics?
Photography is a hobby of mine -
I now use 35mm Film mostly (B&W and E6) on a 35mm Contax RTS II SLR and a Minolta 35mm SLR (Dynax 7) but also a 2005 Konica Minolta Dynax 7D 6 Mega Pixel DSLR (and my iPhone 12 mini).

The 6MP is more than enough for me - I must admit despite being nearly 20 years old with poor dynamic range and bad highlight detail it’s a pleasure to use and the photos are excellent (it helps that I have almost all the best lenses for Sony/Minolta A Mount)
they have an almost film like quality and they blow the pictures from my iPhone 12 mini out of of space.

Sure the iPhone has far far better dynamic range and low light ability but that doesn’t give a photo the look I want - I like colour and also depth and rendition that only a larger sensor and fast lenses can offer.

I also have some vintage Russian and East German M42 lenses which give such a fantastic rendering and look - wonderful.
And they’re all pretty cheap and with a M42 adaptor you can use them on any camera

Last edited:
I pad. Can’t even buy film locally. My son is a film maker and editor in NYC. For the last 4 years he hasn’t been able to buy movie film there. He has to order it from California. It takes a long time to get it as they concentrate on the big production company orders and put small orders on the back burner. He still uses it but not as much as he once did. He once had three movie film cameras but now has only one. He bought the only one he used from a California company that was filming a movie in NYC and the photographer said it was excess stock and film was pretty much out. He got a real deal on the camera but lenses are $2000 each. Everything else you need you have to buy separately, like heated eyepieces, electric drive, charger, etc. You can’t use it without spending a fortune. He can sometimes rent it out to others to get some of the cost back.
Quite easy to get film - still and cine and dev it here in London

Back