Article The Most Iconic Retro MTB component of all time?

What is the most iconic retro mountain bike component of all time? We here at retrobike plan to try and find out or at least gain some sort of consensus from the forum. Simply make your nomination on the iconic retro mtb component thread here and see if the retrobike massive agree with your reasoning.

Will it be the XT thumbshifter? Cooks cranks? Grafton cantis? XT v-brake? 200lx plastic coated cranks?

We'll leave it with you....

Another vote for the XT thumbie.

Also Dave's Chain device

Purple anodised CNC'd cantis

Purple anodised anything for that matter.

Fluorescing green or orange forks w/matching stem!

People should put their age and when they started MTB'ing for reference.
For me at 47, started MTB-ing in the late 80's as a teen it has to be the XT thumbies and this rear mech. It was all about the rear mech for us, like a fashion label on a shirt.
I still recall in 1990, my 14 year old friend taking his Raleigh 501 in to Ken Ellerker bike shop in Hull and buying a 105 rear mech, the bike shop guy said "I'd seriously look at new wheels before a rear derailleur"... We needed that 05 badge though, for use a game changer.

We could never dream about Dura Ace or XT, 300 was our level,

Attachments

• dx mech.jpg
    dx mech.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 4
What is the most iconic retro mountain bike component of all time? We here at retrobike plan to try and find out or at least gain some sort of consensus from the forum. Simply make your nomination on the iconic retro mtb component thread here and see if the retrobike massive agree with your reasoning.

Will it be the XT thumbshifter? Cooks cranks? Grafton cantis? XT v-brake? 200lx plastic coated cranks?

We'll leave it with you....
Are we going to have a poll some day? It would be fun :)

To me it’s a no brainier.
Either a Ringle Holey skewer or a Flite Titanium saddle. Both stand out as iconic of the retro era. IMHO

Can’t believe xt sharkfin hasn’t been mentioned..

Or onza chill pills..

Or onza barends..

Or- I’m going to start a thread as my list is very long if that’s alright..

Back