The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

drcarlos":3qajm5s6 said:
It’s incredible just how shit the output from an Alexa is and how poor an mp3 is.
Use something designed for the job instead? MP3 and Alexa is for background noise, not listening to music.

Chromecast (or a proper streamer, wired or otherwise) and a decent high bit rate recording/digital copy is far better.
There is a minuscule but noticeable difference between the CD input and the Chromecast input on my amp, but you have to be listening to the same track, back to back, and switch between the two to hear it. I'm also streaming lossless from my server or 320 kbps from spotify. (rather than the "standard" MP3 rate. Whatever it is.)

mattr":24oa2k8z said:
drcarlos":24oa2k8z said:
It’s incredible just how shit the output from an Alexa is and how poor an mp3 is.
Use something designed for the job instead? MP3 and Alexa is for background noise, not listening to music.

Chromecast (or a proper streamer, wired or otherwise) and a decent high bit rate recording/digital copy is far better.
There is a minuscule but noticeable difference between the CD input and the Chromecast input on my amp, but you have to be listening to the same track, back to back, and switch between the two to hear it. I'm also streaming lossless from my server or 320 kbps from spotify. (rather than the "standard" MP3 rate. Whatever it is.)

I was really just noting the comparison, Amazon music is here to stay for convienience and it's fine (it often gives us some good suggestions we can save for later in it's random playlists) for what it is, quality it is not and i'm happy to keep getting CD's for this.

Also this weekend a new option has appeared in the form of Vinyl as I've acquired my late dad's Linn Basik Turntable (with Akito arm and Goldring cartridge), collection of Vinyl (50% is dubious stuff) and Pioneer A400 amp (the A300X can go back to my brother now along with his Tannoy 633 speakers), been listening to some of the Vinyl this evening and it's quite different. Will be putting up a shelf for the deck in a few weeks and replacing the broken lid hinge but that's all that's wrong now. Just time to enjoy it.

drcarlos":1hjclcy4 said:
mattr":1hjclcy4 said:
drcarlos":1hjclcy4 said:

I was really just noting the comparison, Amazon music is here to stay for convienience and it's fine (it often gives us some good suggestions we can save for later in it's random playlists) for what it is, quality it is not and i'm happy to keep getting CD's for this.

Also this weekend a new option has appeared in the form of Vinyl as I've acquired my late dad's Linn Basik Turntable (with Akito arm and Goldring cartridge), collection of Vinyl (50% is dubious stuff) and Pioneer A400 amp (the A300X can go back to my brother now along with his Tannoy 633 speakers), been listening to some of the Vinyl this evening and it's quite different. Will be putting up a shelf for the deck in a few weeks and replacing the broken lid hinge but that's all that's wrong now. Just time to enjoy it.
Oh dear a turntable? You're fully down the rabbit hole now, you should have gone back a few pages and heeded the warning of all my pictures as there's no hope for you now, wave goodbye to any money you had as its a costly habit to keep. And different is a good word, it's not about better or worse its about different.
Oh and be careful of the PSU in that Basik though, they're prone to failing but they are repairable now.

Agreed on the Chromecast they're wonderful things its just a shame you can't buy the audio only ones anymore. I went with one of those Mitchell and Johnson (Badged Sansui) streamers in the end when they were being sold off cheap and use it to play stored Flac files from my NAS although the internal DAC is pretty poor so I run it into a Musical Fidelity X-Dac I had spare and that sounds quite nice indeed.

Re:

I doubt i'll be diving down into that rabbit hole too far. I've always wanted a nice deck and this fits the bill well, as apart from a broken hinge (that I will replace as they are about £13 on ebay) it's in perfect condition with no perspex lid cracks like most seem to suffer. I just need to get some more vinyl that's more in line with my tastes.

I'll keep an eye on the PSU, PSU failures of older electronic kit seem to be capacitor related so hopefully easy to fix.

allenh":20g30p7s said:
Agreed on the Chromecast they're wonderful things its just a shame you can't buy the audio only ones anymore.
I bought a handful when the announcement was made :D

mattr":2g9y80x7 said:
allenh":2g9y80x7 said:
Agreed on the Chromecast they're wonderful things its just a shame you can't buy the audio only ones anymore.
I bought a handful when the announcement was made :D
Currys had them half price for a while so I bought 3, Didn't need 3 at the time but you never know.

just got this today from Audio T in Reading. Rega Apollo. Still made in England And my first sub woofer
from Richer Sounds

Attachments

• hifi.JPG
    hifi.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,205
Anyone got any opinions on the Linn Classik mk1?

I’ve been offered one and the online reviews were good

What do the forum’s fonts of hifi knowledge think of them?

Andy B":2wx672md said:

Theres some capacitors that go poop as they get too hot but its a common problem that is relatively easy to fix and most have been sorted by now.

Andy B":1tptczrr said:

I remember being unimpressed when they were new (my Dad bought one - he liked it well enough but didn't keep it all that long). Plasticky build and so-so sound. Looking at what they sell for now I'd pass. Better to buy a decent amp and plug a chromecast in I'd say.

Latest posts

Back