Sunbeam restoration

No grease ever used in them. There is probably a light motor oil suitable, but don't use much, it'll run down the spokes.
You could grease the balls just behind the cog, I think they are 3/16 inch.
If the ball race under the other end of the driver is falling apart you might have to stick them in with a little grease. Also 3/16.( I think.)

Keith

There's no lock nut on the non-drive side of this hub, and looking at my photos from before I pulled it apart, there wasn't when I bought it. Seems odd to me, but the exploded diagram in the link above also shows no lock nut. Is that normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_122420.jpg
    IMG_20200705_122420.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 517
Got me there, can't remember, but you could fit a flatted washer and locknut, 3/8 x 26 tpi not SA size.

While the BSA gear is a lot smoother, if high gear slips it needs a driver and planet cage, a AW just needs 4 planet pins and a sliding clutch, simple cross shaped piece.

Keith

Almost finished this now, with the exception of 2 ball bearings that aren't in the crank (not sure I can be bothered to get them back in). But I'm having issues with the dynamo. I'm seeing a voltage of 2-5V at the front lamp, but no illumination. Lamp is short circuit so I'm presuming it's working. Switch on the lamp is fine. I haven't checked the rear yet, I don't know the circuit so don't know if both bulbs need to be working for one or the other to work.

Do I just need more speed? I won't be relying on them at night but I'd like to have at least a glimmer out of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_162637.jpg
    IMG_20200709_162637.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 471
Front and rear bulbs should be in parallel not series.
Usually you get some kind of light just by spinning the front wheel.

Back