Stripped bottom bracket threads -solutions please

I have a couple of frames with Mavis 610/616s fitted (I used Danson's chamfering tool on the Raleigh Twenty) and I love them. A bit heavy, but feel great and seem to last forever.

Ohhh, never come across those inserts before, would have been nice to have BITD

However, for old Raleigh frames they made oversize cups and was easy to rethread to a slightly bigger size, Raleigh threads only though lol

Nice 70s frame, unfortunately came with stripped NDS and not very best drive side either. Pondering what to do, find a solution or find a fellow rider with a bit more of an experience and pass it on?

Suggestions please
I have a complete set of threaders and facers for bb and headsets. I have retreaded bb before but,,, usually the cups are difficult to start after a retread and if you have to take them out again you might have to retread again to get them to screw in. You have to be real careful not to cross thread so a retap helps. The fix is not as easy to thread, you have to be patient and careful. There are only so many times you can do this. I wouldn’t chance a retread unless you can find someone with the tools who will do it for free. It’s expensive to have a shop do it and it’s an easy job if you have the tools. It’s too expensive in my mind as there is no guarantee it will work.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Now if there is someone that would take this challenge on, you can have this nice Harry Quinn frameset for £25 + postage. Aside stripped bottom bracket threads there are also
- couple of dents, one under down tube (non visible unless upside down) and on drive side rear stay
- stuck seatpost binder, which can be cut out easily, but I'm applying Gas Plus regularly before doing that

I think forks are worth more than that, but it would be pity splitting them from the frame.

Attachments

• 20220123_194702.jpg
    20220123_194702.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 15

I just fitted one of these to a Raleigh frame with trashed BB threads. Rode 30+ miles yesterday and all good so far, no creaking and didn’t come loose. Good quality bearings that can be easily replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    961.3 KB · Views: 10
Back