Stiff bottom bracket.

This has all gone weird! I received my new Italian BB quickly from Chain Reaction. For once it was the exact item I ordered. It's too big :facepalm: It has a right hand thread on the drive side but is a mm too big. I've rechecked the original and it is English diameter but right hand threaded. It screws in to either side of the frame. What strange beast do I have?
It's rusty so I can't get any info. from the BB in question. A French BB would be right hand threaded but a different pitch thread to an English. I can't measure the TPI to see which it corresponds to. Tomorrow I'll remove another BB cup to see if it screws into the left hand, non drive side.
In the mean time I've plucked the seals out and sprayed some grease in. It's freed up a lot and I think with a bit of use it will be fine. The seals went back and will suffice for the relatively dry riding I'm likely to be doing.
I still have the option of rethreading the frame for an Italian BB in the future, if I ever need to but what I'd like to know is what the hell is this BB and why is it fitted to my bike?

Re:

New Bike!!! :LOL:

Don't know why anyone would want to re-thread a frame for Italian BB, I'd sooner just fit one of those BB's with a sleeve either side, the ones for frames with stripped BB threads.

There were some Shimano BB that screwed in 'back to front' in the early days - 1992 was around the start of it all, I remember faffing with my Claud Butler Spectre cartridge BB after wearing it out.

Pictures tell a gazzzzzilllionnnn words, soooo.....?

The Attack LE looks to have had a Sugino chainset, so if it is original, it may be some non Shimano make, as before, pictures please!

Re:

Shimano's version of an Italian bottom bracket is not the same as the Italian's version of an Italian bottom bracket: the Shimano version has a wider diameter. No idea why.

Mmmmm! don't know what a picture would show. It's a right hand threaded BB which appears to be English diameter. That's all I know.

I've now acquired a used UN55 left cup from Benji at the Bike Cabin in Chorley, whilst picking up an 11 spd chain. Top man. Spinning the cranks it's loosening up nicely, having removed the seals and greased. I've realised that this bike is essentially unused. OK the shiny coat on the frame is in a state, the saddle and stem are replacements but the original tyres and brake blocks are showing no signs of wear. Having said that the front tyre is splitting on the skin walls in a couple of places, so will need replacing. The rims still have those tiny ridges of a brand new one, when you scrape a thumb nail across. Can't wait for the spring to give it some riding.

Back