Stiff bottom bracket.

LOL.

The BB in my fire mountain hadn't ever been out when I bought it @ about 18 years old. I span it out, and span it back in, as it was near perfect. It hasn't been out since, and that was about 8 years ago. I reckon it's got about 10 more years before it's due out again...

The bike's 23 years old but as far as I know only the saddle and saddle stem have ever been changed. I broke the chain on a ride so fitted a new one with no problems. The sprockets and rims look virtually unused. It takes effort to turn a crank by hand and I've done 2 off road rides, one road ride and plenty of bimbling up the street. I think it may not have been stiff on delivery so I think it has no chance of improving.
Bottom bracket replacement therapy for a middle aged bike, I reckon.

Re:

Probably just needs riding more :LOL:
If you get a new one, they sometimes feel a bit stiff, but soon loosen up with use.
If you think it's the original bottom bracket, then a new one won't do any harm.

It's an Italian BB! How can this be? I struggled to get it out and ended up clamping the removal tool in a vice. It was still massively hard. I'd turn it a fraction and it wouldn't go further. I twisted it back and it moved OK but I couldn't turn it "out" beyond a certain point. I turned it right back to where I had started and could see the thread emerging. Yes, turning it anti clockwise had it out! I broke the damaged plastic ring from the other side and now I can screw the BB in from either side by turning it clockwise.
Unless I've been abducted by space aliens and had my memory tampered with then that's an Italian BB. I measured 35.4mm across the thread which is close enough to the Italian 35.6mm. I don't know if this has been done because someone previously stripped the thread and recut it a mm bigger. Looking into the threads it's difficult to say but I could be persuaded that the thread changes half way in. Curious. Anyway, since the right hand threaded BB can be screwed in from either side it looks like an Italian spec replacement is the thing to go for.

Re:

Should have left it alone :LOL:
I had a BB that had been put in "the wrong way around" god knows how the previous owner managed it, but it was a nightmare to remove.
If you have a spare, any spare, regular BSA bottom bracket then try threading that in and see if it goes.

I've ordered a UN55 BB of the same spec as I'm replacing. It's 113mm, not the Proflex spec of 110mm but I thought it best to replace with what I've removed. I've improved the spec with a metal, rather than plastic, fitting on the left. £18.99 isn't a lot of money for peace of mind and a smooth BB but it is more money than an English thread. Maybe if we'd joined the Euro I'd be quids in :?

...and you are new to a site that has about a thousand years of combined knowledge on how to service/ dismantle old bicycles with many from within the industry itself.

Back