Show us your unidentified bikes ...

Re: not sure which grisley

chrisallen1701":2mn6buke said:
Can anyone help me find out which grisley this is?
Any help much appreciated. I believe it is from around 1990.

That is not a grisley. The dropouts are different, the serial number is different, the horizontal curved tube is different and nothing more in that photos.

Re:

The top tube definitely looks the same as an orion, and to my eye so do the dropouts. I think the guy who first replied got it pretty much right

Another unknown frame:

Frame.JPG

Any ideas of a possible maker? If so, please let me know on the build thread:

Unknown frames... is this forum still active?
Not even sure it will be pre '97
Was just based on the metallic candy orange of that era, and a spattering of Acera X
It had Acera X rims, crankset, and the V brakes with the machined A in.
It did however have 3x7 grip shifters and for some reason an XT rear mech & LX front, tho Mega9 on a 7 speed cassette!!
The forks were some evil triple clamp Synch EXCED 288 things that would struggle on a half decent shag pile carpet.
I'm just intrigued with the frame as on it's own it seems very well constructed, well painted and strong enough to help out in the Ukraine.
Some serious gusset boosting, and much welding!
It's just being recycled for a friends 12 year old with little budget, so there's a set of N.O.S. Zac2000 rims I had in the shed, the crankset is fine, and I put an old set of Judy TT on with some 720mm bars as I figured the mean stance would suit a youff. It'll just get budget Shimano drive train as I'll no doubt be asked to straighten or replace them every 3 months.
Brifters replacement for the blister shifters.
If anyone knows who made the frame I'll be very grateful purely out of curiosity sake.
Likewise why either surely a jump or DH constructed frame was built with towpath grade components?
IMG_20221026_145532.jpg

Unknown frames... is this forum still active?
Not even sure it will be pre '97
Was just based on the metallic candy orange of that era, and a spattering of Acera X
It had Acera X rims, crankset, and the V brakes with the machined A in.
It did however have 3x7 grip shifters and for some reason an XT rear mech & LX front, tho Mega9 on a 7 speed cassette!!
The forks were some evil triple clamp Synch EXCED 288 things that would struggle on a half decent shag pile carpet.
I'm just intrigued with the frame as on it's own it seems very well constructed, well painted and strong enough to help out in the Ukraine.
Some serious gusset boosting, and much welding!
It's just being recycled for a friends 12 year old with little budget, so there's a set of N.O.S. Zac2000 rims I had in the shed, the crankset is fine, and I put an old set of Judy TT on with some 720mm bars as I figured the mean stance would suit a youff. It'll just get budget Shimano drive train as I'll no doubt be asked to straighten or replace them every 3 months.
Brifters replacement for the blister shifters.
If anyone knows who made the frame I'll be very grateful purely out of curiosity sake.
Likewise why either surely a jump or DH constructed frame was built with towpath grade components?
View attachment 674499
No answer yet, but as this frame has already IS disc mounts (just check if the distance is 51mm) it's already clear that it's 2001 or younger.
With that you have another proof point that the components are rather randomly selected and not from same year as the frame.
Maybe it was even sold as frame only and not as complete Bike.
Style-wise this looks a bit like a dual slalom or dirt bike.

Nice project BTW...

No answer yet, but as this frame has already IS disc mounts (just check if the distance is 51mm) it's already clear that it's 2001 or younger.
With that you have another proof point that the components are rather randomly selected and not from same year as the frame.
Maybe it was even sold as frame only and not as complete Bike.
Style-wise this looks a bit like a dual slalom or dirt bike.

Nice project BTW...
Many thanks... it's a step in the right direction for now.
I shall have a look at the dropouts if the rain stops long enough to get to my workshop! Cheers Joglo.

Trying here with a bike I am interested in though this thread looks like a slow mover.

Anyhow, the bike is clearly a DBR Axis TT. My questions are:
1) What year?
2) Why the red sticker pack? These look original, yet all I can find are white decals

More in-the-know people have any thoughts on this bike? From what I gather these are pretty decent titanium frames. I will make a dedicated thread if this one moves like molasses! Thank you!

DBR 01.jpg DBR 02.jpg DBR 03.jpg DBR 04.jpg DBR 05.jpg DBR 06.jpg

Trying here with a bike I am interested in though this thread looks like a slow mover.

Anyhow, the bike is clearly a DBR Axis TT. My questions are:
1) What year?
2) Why the red sticker pack? These look original, yet all I can find are white decals

More in-the-know people have any thoughts on this bike? From what I gather these are pretty decent titanium frames. I will make a dedicated thread if this one moves like molasses! Thank you!

View attachment 764845View attachment 764846View attachment 764847View attachment 764848View attachment 764859View attachment 764860
Interesting bike,
to me a complete custom build, including the decals.

The Axxis TT Titanium frames had been sold from what I do know just from 1993 till 1995. Therefore always with cantilever bridge at the back.
For 96 and onwards there is just spare documentation, but Diamand Back, first of all started to run through challenging times as a company,
continioud carbon bond frames with their WCF series (up to 3 models in 96) but also on Aluminum frames like the Zetec, later even with Easton Elite or ProGram tubing, started to introduce next gen of full-suspension bikes, the V-link series from 96 onwards.
There had been a few remaining rather classical bikes, the Axxis or Axxis R with -True Temper Lite or Ritchey CroMo tubing, but to my knowledge there was no place for Titanium frames any longer.

My two cents on the bike build itself? Looks like a Bike which is fun to ride, by doesn't look very good, at least not like a classic-bike.
Personally I wouldn't combine a nice Titanium frame with a Bomber, a nicely performing fork, but rather heavy and not necessary needed for such kind of a bike in my human opinion.

With regards to the decals, i haven't seen red ones or just with red outline like on 98 V-Link pro black carbon frame.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all of that. Maybe an old team bike, thus red decal set?

I also agree with that Bomber fork. Looks really out of place! Needs to be swapped out for something else!

I will keep digging and see if I can find any additional information regarding specific year (by serial number maybe?) and what’s up with the red decals.

Back