Riser bars... Why all the hate?

legrandefromage":itisazvw said:
freddok":itisazvw said:
IMHO risers bars have no really place on bikes re-build before 94'. U

Ahem!

PICT0049_zpsa0d4556f.jpg

file.php

And how was the handling? Was that the bike you accused of trying to kill you? :D

dodgy geometry - seat tube if I remember rightly. As soon as you put any pressure on the pedals the front end would want to rise up.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2du4aad4 said:
You can't be calling shopper bars 'risers' , they are two distinct bars for marketing purposes..

Please don't do this again. It's taken ages to get the tea out of the keyboard. :LOL:

Re:

I remember putting Club Roost risers on my 1994 Kona Lava Dome in early 1995, and people were asking me why I had put bull bars on my bike lol.

FluffyChicken":3n4kle0y said:
It just wasn't really a thing u til the latter part of the 90s, which is a smaller part of the retro part of this site and tend to sit in the 98+ section.

I don't like risers just because they look daft and you look a noddy with them on. Leave it the the DH scene, which is not for me.
Why do that when a high rise stem does the job*

Many use them though and they find them comfy and good looking, but these tend to be on late 90s onward bikes.

Stick bar ends on, helps with the shopping bags and someplace to hang the helmet on.
And just to piss people off ;-)

*interestingly, this debate has started again with Gravel Bikes and the Riser bars they are fitting to them, just they are drop riser bars.

I think you are right - I recall people with more money than I had upgrading their flat bars to riser bars when I was riding my 91 Stumpjumper. They didn't make a lot of sense to me back then because we were still thinking about XC riding and weight savings, suspension and brake boosters were the upgrade most of us were thinking about back then. A riser bar didn't start making sense to my group until we starting looking at fall line riding.

Here's the 1994 Specialized team with their narrow bars - it really was just a couple of years of super narrow before the riser came back

*note the longer the hair, the wider the bar... :mrgreen:

file.php

Re:

Who's the tall dude with the pink town bike 'riser' bars?

Town bike isn't a joke*, as Spesh used riser bars on mid rise stems on their town bikes/hybrid at that time (crossroads iirc).

*honest but it is another marketing group ;-) and they did call them riser bars.

For me no in XC bicycles. But for example if you are too tall the bicycle is big and ugly and you will need a riser bar that will "not add more uglyness" :LOL:

But a beautifull 16, 17" or 18" or even 19" that has perfect proportions ... NEVER. It will fit you if you choose the right size so, why add a riser bar.

Screen_Shot_2019-11-10_at_3.12.59_PM_1024x1024.png

3.JPG

Re:

It improves the look of gate bikes :)

So cross bar or no cross bar on your risers (or whatever the in name is for it?)

FluffyChicken":brp4dwlc said:
It improves the look of gate bikes :)

So cross bar or no cross bar on your risers (or whatever the in name is for it?)

A brace FC :)

legrandefromage":brp4dwlc said:
Here's the 1994 Specialized team with their narrow bars - it really was just a couple of years of super narrow before the riser came back

*note the longer the hair, the wider the bar... :mrgreen:

file.php

Didnt know you were in the team LGF :)

And i came into mtb from bmx, so riser bars on my early Kona's back in the mid 90's made more sense to me as i used to jump my Kona's. I think if you get the length of the stem right they look fine.

Back