Retro mod... Offroad Master

I do remember Piranha racing but not the history of them now. These little Offroad masters are nice. I built one for my son years ago. Wish I had a picture of it but it was really tricked out with a disk drive, and lots of 3DV, Ringle stem, Topline cranks etc etc... Sadly I broke it for parts long ago.
The only mention of piranha hubs were on this site. Couldn’t find any other references

But the bike frame is similar to a large Bmx (sort of like a prehistoric dirt jumper)

Rear hub. There was an old listing here that said the original cassette was a shimano 8 speed. Anyone notice any problems if that cassette is used?

Attachments

• 6C96F0E5-707D-4315-AC29-98E598A1070C.jpeg
    6C96F0E5-707D-4315-AC29-98E598A1070C.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 13
Through the magic of the internet, the old listing thumbnail was saved here. Link is long gone

Attachments

• A42CEE59-3F99-4BCE-A57D-1E6E8A87781D.jpeg
    A42CEE59-3F99-4BCE-A57D-1E6E8A87781D.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 15
I stink at photos…. But anyhow have worst luck my entire life getting colored nipples. Bike stores hate them etc etc… order enough to make four wheels shipping takes a month and when they show up bags is ripped with 40 nipples inside. So just front is done

Attachments

• 05BBC993-C9B2-416A-A7C6-A81B63DA97A7.jpeg
    05BBC993-C9B2-416A-A7C6-A81B63DA97A7.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi, i do like the build 👍
It's also getting really cool.

Just if OK, please allow a bit of an advice, to not just look at coolness, but also on ergonomics. Especially as you won't ride this bike personally but your little one.
Looking at the picture here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/retro-mod-offroad-master.397678/post-3006764 it looks like you still want to use this killer stem, right?
To me that's much too long for a 10-ish old boy. Curious to see photos with the rider, but i would expect that he has almost to lie on the bike.
Again, just me, i would use a maybe 60mm stem and a riser bar to trim the ride in a more modern and comfortable riding position.

Even the standard LX cranks, at least 170mm long, can be put a bit into question. Also for young riders same rule of thumb make sense, "rider height in cm (some say even minus 10%) is ideal crank lenght in mm".
That would be 140-150mm roughly if I'm guessing right.

Sorry, don't want to moan, just help here a bit with constructive criticism, to make this bike also fun to ride for your boy.

Good eye. The stem is awful, made the bike front twitchy. We’re changing to a BMX top clamp with riser bars. He’s taller than I am now.

we started this back before covid. The original paint job was going to be completely different. Original school project was a ww2 tribute… but school was canceled and so was project… so we made is a covid tribute for our own amusement

Love this thread. You'll see why from the pic below. My first MTB was an Offroad Mt.10+2 and last Christmas I acquired one for the collection thanks to an RB'er. I'd been searching for years.

The pic below is the one he sent when I bought it. Almost 100% original save for the saddle, even the tyres and brake pads. Wheels still hold air some 30 years later. Brakes are sharp as a pin. Reckon it's about an '89. Have never seen one in a catalogue, but there was an MT.10 which had a single chainring up front, so figure the "+2" signifies a triple. Just wish I had the beautiful stem that the 89 catalogue MT had.

It's a heavy old thing, with comedy handling given the tiny frame and 26 inch wheels. Visually very similar to the Master but most likely different pipes.

Thought I'd share for the Offroad crowd. Anyone with any info let me know as I don't want to derail this excellent thread.

962a852f-077f-4b08-9210-b9e957bab1b7-jpeg.580252

Last edited:
Love this thread. You'll see why from the pic below. My first MTB was an Offroad Mt.10+2 and last Christmas I acquired one for the collection thanks to an RB'er. I'd been searching for years.

The pic below is the one he sent when I bought it. Almost 100% original save for the saddle, even the tyres and brake pads. Wheels still hold air some 30 years later. Brakes are sharp as a pin. Reckon it's about an '89. Have never seen one in a catalogue, but there was an MT.10 which had a single chainring up front, so figure the "+2" signifies a triple. Just wish I had the beautiful stem that the 89 catalogue MT had.

It's a heavy old thing, with comedy handling given the tiny frame and 26 inch wheels. Visually very similar to the Master but most likely different pipes.

Thought I'd share for the Offroad crowd. Anyone with any info let me know as I don't want to derail this excellent thread.

962a852f-077f-4b08-9210-b9e957bab1b7-jpeg.580252
After Lots of digging on the internet, I found a one or two page catalog that had three offroad bikes. If memory serves me right one was white with blue letters. One like my master and the third was top line version. It might be on this website somewhere in an old post

Back