Richard Sachs frameset touring or cyclocross 56cm

ylwgto

Retro Guru
Hi.

I've listed this for sale locally and on ebay with lots of interest, but no takers yet so thought I'd put it out there to the retro crowd.

This is a very early Richard Sachs touring or CX frameset. Quite a rare frame from the beginning of the most preeminent American frame builder's storied career. I have not seen too many early touring frames. I only very recently acquired this frame and had great plans for it. This is sort of a reluctant sale to fund another necessary purchase, but that's life :(

The frameset is a ca.1979 model, based on the prior owners communications with RS. I cannot make out the serial number in full through the paint, but it looks like 8 with ?335 below. The "335" I think refers to the absolute number of frames made. RS left Witcomb and went on his own sometime in '75. He has alluded to making ~100 frames per year in the early days. Additionally, I've seen other early 80s frames with 400-range numbers. So, the dating makes logical sense, but I am not not 100%. It may be older or newer (although I cannot imagine much newer).

The lugs are beautifully worked, filed and brazed as you'd expect. The tubes are, of course, some iteration of Columbus. The bottom bracket is a Cinelli SC and is therefore Italian threaded. The fork is what you'd expect, awesome…"RS" is cast into the crown and card suits filed into the extended leg lugs. This is a touring or CX frame, so the fork has eyelets and the rear dropouts are tapped to accept fender/rack bolts. There are also fender bolt braze ons on the chain and seat stay bridges. Additionally, the frame has 3 water bottle braze on mounts, cantilever brake bosses and above the BB cable routing. The dropouts predate RS stamping and I'm not sure what they are. Rears are forged horizontal with micro adjust. Very stunning craftsmanship. The frame easily fits a modern 130mm rear hub with only minor manual spreading, so it may have been "cold set" at some point by a previous owner.

Geometry (contact me if you require further detail):
Seat tube c2c: 57cm
Top tube c2c: 56cm
head tube: 6"
chainstays: 17.5"
wheelbase: 41" (as best as I an measure)
I've had 700 x 28C tires on it with lots of room to spare, but my 42c CX knobbies do not fit in the chain stays.

The frame wears its original paint (John Anderson I think, the frame predates the JB relationship) and is in very good condition overall. The paint is a semi-metallic white with yellow decalling and lug accents. Generally, paint is very good. There is typical wear around the dropouts/seat bolt area and a few chips here and there (upper head tube, inner seat stay above bridge, BB shell). No really bad scratches, no chainsuck, no rust. Paint gets a solid 8.5-10 for its original condition and age IMHO. It may improve with a professional "cut and buff" detailing.

There are 3 small dings on the frame. They are difficult to photograph (>1mm), but they exist. I'm not sure these would even be worth mention if this was just a standard frame, but I feel compelled to bring it up since this is a Sachs frame. Totally non structural and the kind of dings that just get "smoothed" during a repaint. 2 are on top tube and one is on drive side mid chainstay. Additionally, the paint at the top on the drive side chainstay (right along the edge of the fluted portion that is brazed to the seat stay cluster) has a stress crack (in the paint, NOT the frame). The frame has been in a jig and is straight and structurally 100% ok. Just cosmetic stuff. ZERO dents or cracks.

Opportunities to get a hold of these frames are seldom...people just hang onto them. The wait list for a new one is ridiculous, if you can even get on it. The frameset is ready to be built up an enjoyed for many more touring, randonneur-ing or CX miles. It is beautiful as-is, but would also be a prime candidate for a restoration.

My pics are too big to post so PM me with your actual email and I can send larger detailed pics of everything

Looking for $1500 + shipping

Shipping to USA 48 is $65 fully insured and professionally packed. I can ship to most of Western Europe, but prices will vary.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.07.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 11.07.25 AM.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 470
Back