Raleigh SBDU 531SL build thread

Re:

cheers Rk

My thinking with the headset was to see EDCO from both right and left, since it repeats, rather than front and back, is that what you meant?

I'll try a two bolt seatpost since I have one to hand, it's in better condition than this one too. I've sourced a 13-18 Winner block so I'll post an update when I next have some time.

Yeah the chainstay stickers were positioned slightly too far forward, I'm not going to touch them until the paint has hardened for a while, they've not been oversprayed yet so will move. As for the headbadge vs foil transfer I have seen both variants, this frame had the drillings for a traditional heron badge so I went that way. The BJ sticker does look out of sorts but I'm very reluctant to touch it.

Here's my Bob Jackson TT from the 70's......... Hopefully "competition" at the front and note the lack of spacer as the 2mm of steerer tube missing and weight of spacer would have slowed me down no end LOL. maybe designed for a Pista head set but certainly BITD for TT frames they chopped off any metal they could :)

142hez4.jpg

Shaun

Re:

Nearly there now - followed Roadking and switched the transfers around. I think it's a big improvement. The campag sticker draws the eye away from the original position of the tubing transfer and gives some balance to the seat tube. The chainstay foil decals are also in the right place now if I can only get them to stick down again - might need another set :(

On the detail, the Suntour date codes for the gears are TE and TD so bang on 1977, and they work perfectly. The chaiset date stamps confused me for a while until I remembered that they're made by Sugino - of course. They had a bunch of different codes over the years but I these are G-8 'code 5' so also 1977. The detail is available here http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

I've fitted a Record 2 bolt seat post, a Suntour New Winner 6 speed 13-18 block and a modern KMC chain, which works a treat with the ST mechs, and some chromed Record toe clips. Black Benotto tape to finish. Just some toe straps now and good to go...

Attachments

• _MG_3060.jpg
    _MG_3060.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,184
  • _MG_3064.jpg
    _MG_3064.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • _MG_3066.jpg
    _MG_3066.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • _MG_3071.jpg
    _MG_3071.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • _MG_3077.jpg
    _MG_3077.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,184
Re:

Build spec

Frame: Raleigh SB1452 (H250) Respray Crimson & golden yellow, 531SL

Fork: H250

Headset: EDCO Competition
Stem: Cinelli 1A
Handlebar: Cinelli Giro d'Italia
Bar Tape: Benotto

Brake Levers/Brifters: Super record
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Record 1970s
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Cables: modern

Shifters: Suntour Superbe
Front Derailleur: Suntour Superbe
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Superbe
Derailleur Cables: modern
Cassette: Suntour New Winner 13-18 6 speed
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Suntour Superbe
Chainrings: Suntour 53-47
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Record

Rims: H Plus Son TB14
Hubs: Record
Hub Skewers: Record
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DT stainless
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa SC 25 mm
Tubes: Lifeline Essential

Saddle: Brooks Professional 1977
Seatpost: Record
Seatpost Binder: Raleigh bolt

Bottle Cage: modern
Extras: Record chromed Toe clips, Velo Orange Grand Cru Straps

Weight: 10.19 kg

Re:

Thanks everyone, I'm delighted at how this ended up given the rust bucket I started with :D Now with some modern toe straps to finish - Velo Orange laminated leather, seem very nice indeed.

I quite like how the copper rivets of the Brooks kind of match the yellow details in the lug windows.

Attachments

• _MG_3081.jpg
    _MG_3081.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,105
Back