Raleigh Dyna-Tech Mission 1990

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Not so much a build thread as a take apart, clean and reassemble.

Great to meet TreaderSteve yesterday and pick up the Dyna-Tech he had posted last week here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...ty-dyna-tech-lover-sought-for-hook-up.437676/

Mission (get it!) smuggle-another-bike in to the cave was almost accomplished until my better half called me on the way home to announce her early arrival home and how long would I be……erm I’m on the A14 and will be a while…..erm yes I know it’s not where you expected me to be……erm…..I had to make a brief confession which was accepted and my sins promptly absolved, she’s a diamond!

Didn’t get time to have a good look until tonight. What a beauty, completely original down to cables/chain/brake blocks, apart from the saddle, mudguards and tyres. Amazing condition- you know when you see that oily film on most of the parts that it’s going to come up great.

07E5BE40-88F0-4AD1-BE53-2EC85E917392.jpeg D49E6E04-056B-4066-83C2-3685DC51F38E.jpeg B2E2BEFC-818B-4ECD-B4E9-F8F1C0922FC1.jpeg 08C3C2CF-55B4-428E-A20C-B2386B5FC146.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn’t notice until I took this photo that some Dyna-Techs have a portacena on the seat stay, immediately went to check and my others also have it - how have I not noticed before?!

5BA7EE66-F130-4C0D-917D-4B532D642D5B.jpeg

And as suggested in the original post by TreaderSteve, the shifters were returned to full functionality by the faintest whiff of WD40.

1E62652E-3D8E-4FDE-A205-1154DE2BCEB3.jpeg

Last edited:
So plans are……strip it and flip the DX….only kidding!

With a bike this original it really needs to stay that way. Definitely a full strip, clean, polish, grease and rebuild is going to happen. The finished article I don’t think will have the mudguards refitted, will replace the tyres with tan wall and the saddle with a Vetta. I’m on the look out for a pair of DX pedals, there is a set on eBay but they’ll need some work to bring them up to the condition of the rest of the bike.

With a good bit of seatpost showing I can ride this, though it’s really too small. It’s perfect for my daughter, though if I can bring myself to let her ride it is another matter! Do I have other bikes in the wrong size just because I like looking at them, definitely a few!

Nice. Watching this with interest. :cool:

portacena - what a great word! Never knew it was called this! Noticed this feature on all my Dynatechs.

Interesting that the Mission is the only model from 1991 that comes with 2 types of decal - the one you have there and version shown in the catalogue.

Either way. A nice original example there that I'm sure you'll do a great job with!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Nice. Watching this with interest. :cool:

portacena - what a great word! Never knew it was called this! Noticed this feature on all my Dynatechs.

Interesting that the Mission is the only model from 1991 that comes with 2 types of decal - the one you have there and version shown in the catalogue.

Either way. A nice original example there that I'm sure you'll do a great job with!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy
Portacena it is a lovely word and points to an Italian origin for its name. I think I found out what this chain-nubbin is called either here or classic rendezvous, not noticed it on MTBs before, certainly got one on my Yates and Mercian road bikes. Not to be confused with a portacatena which is a similar idea but “automatic”!

The decals confused me, I did ask TreaderSteve if this is possibly a ‘90 but the frame number definitely starts with an A which is ‘91. * I think I prefer the later decals that are not solid colour, but these will stay as they are. The model name is also in a different place and text, again I like the look of it being on the top tube as the later models.

*Edit think it’s actually a 1990!

Last edited:
Now undressed!
4421F854-76B7-4366-9F4C-A974BF57BFC0.jpeg

Left in the drive side bb cup and the headset cups. Saw no reason to risk any tool slippage/paint damage by removing them as they would only be going back on again.

I think the condition of the underside of the mudguards points to very little use assuming they are original to the bike. Same goes for the back of the brake arms, will be minty with a clean.

BFCD0F06-DA4A-4B35-9F5D-DC2B64BB12BE.jpeg 8F1C1555-6818-442E-8C98-91508CFCA787.jpeg

The only damage/paint/rust I can find anywhere on the bike is under one of the fork legs, suspect a long ago contact with the floor. Plan to use a small dremel sander to take it back and repaint. It’s in a good place as has edges I can mask, don’t think you’d notice it all once done. It wasn’t noticeable until I had taken the wheels off and flipped it over.
544CBED4-7CA1-4B43-A25C-FFF6E2E41694.jpeg

Where does my time go! A few weeks ago I had time to sort out a bike a week and now I’ve not been in the garage for a week or two until today.
Time enough to go over the frame with A very light t-cut then a going over with some Autoglym. I just use what I’ve got in the garage already - does anyone have a particular recommendation for frame renovation/polishing?
It’s coming up really nice

5C2B23AD-A0CA-4DE0-A869-F7D2D34110A8.jpeg 2BA12D18-1A3F-4964-A68B-B7D9DF00D6B1.jpeg

Back