Proof you can polish a Turd or at least roll it in Glitter!

Re: Proof you can polish a Turd (Schwinn FS)

"appeared to use the same sized bearings and configuration as the Grafton" it would be possible that it was a regular (single row bearing) setup, Syncros made those too. The only difference between the two is: the double row bearing is 10mm wide as opposed to the 7mm of the single row bearing. Looking at the spacer setup, you could fit double row bearings if you wanted to, just leave the big spacers out. Now of course you have the BB in the bike so it would be pointless to faff about double row bearings, maybe something to consider when the bearings crap out. Double row bearings are also more expensive (at about 30$ a piece). Don't put too much preload on the bearings, regular radial bearings are not made to take a lot of axial loads and it will lead to a premature bearing failure (unless you have angular contact bearings, in that case they're meant to be preloaded, but those are more expensive than regular bearings and unlikely to have been used).

That's some great mix and match there dude, really is starting to look a sweet build this :cool:

I want to do a full turquois build now :(

Niall.

Re:

Had the day off work today, owing to my lack of tools I ran the frame to my LBT to have a headset fitted
Big decision before I went was which headset to use, original build was to get as close to the catalogue spec as possible, but that disciplined went out the window sometime ago :D

Option one
Silver Cane Creek,

Option Two
Blue Chris King

Option three
Silver Chris King

The C2 Cane Creek is the ugly duckling of the three and doesn’t compare to the Kings

The Blue King turned out to be the wrong shade (too dark) Blue so the Silver no Logo sort of selected its self, since I’m planning to use a Syncros stem the missing top cap isn’t an issue

Going back tomorrow to pick it..

Re:

Having stripped the rear end down so I could polish the U.R.T I was staggered to find that the Alloy shock bushings were so dam tight in the eye’s of the R.S Super D they appeared to be seized solid, upon inspection the O.D of the bushing was bizarrely just to big, how the shock/rear end managed to pivot I’ll never know

After looking for someone who could reduce the OD of some Shock bushes by (I’m guessing here) a few thousands of an inch I thought I’d have a go, if it all went horribly wrong I just have to buy new news

So using a bolt I managed to mount them in the chuck of my drill and taking a Needle File I very gently removed the anodizing allowing the shiny alloy to appear, and after many test fittings and shaving small amounts off I was happy, a quick polish with a thin strip of 1200 Silicon carbide paper I was happy

a quick polish with a thin strip of 1200 Silicon carbide paper and I was happy :D

not sure how good the fit should be, but they now fit snug enough to stay put even when turned upside down, but give the shock a very gentle tap and they fall out,

Re:

Cheer Narder ^^^^

Got the frame back this morning and finally started to get the assembly stage underway

Rounded up the parts I’d been hoarding, mostly m950/951 a lot are NOS and others very low mileage, however some of the hoard like the cranks and bottom bracket have now been superseded

Not sure where this build is going to end up so I’ve been rooting out all the Blue anno spare parts I’ve squirreled away over the years, The blue Answer bars and Hyperends ?

After an hour of fettling it’s once again starting to resemble a Bike, Not sure on the zero rise stem as the overall bar height is about an inch lower than I’d like, and I'm not a fan of using tons of spacers that end up spoiling the aesthetics ....but I've not summed up the balls to chop the steerer down just encase I have a change of heart :?

Planning on matching the grips with the Yellow in the shock and the yellow saddle I have and also the yellow in decals on the Mavic 317's.

The Rock Shox adjusters have also been swapped out for the period correct ones that go with the AC brace and also have the same colourways as the Schwinn badge

Whilst outside I thought I’d have another go at capturing the extraordinary paint

Just waiting for the postman to delivery a full set of cables for the brakes and shifters

Im enjoying this build, it is a nice change to the norm :cool:

Did you get your little white envelope?

Niall.

Re:

Enjoying reading this so far.

I use to enjoy taking delivery of new model year stock Bitd, Opening them boxes ready for assembly was like being a kid at Christmas for me. :oops:

Never forget opening the Schwinn Box and seeing the paint on a Homegrown, Most impressive.

At every price point I was impressed at the value for money given, the spec and build quality, and it was nice to offer something aside form Trek etc.

I have ridden all but the Controlech, The Breezer was nice, the Klein was light, and sadly the Ibis too small. But for a guy that was always more a fan of hardtail, I cant say I didn't like riding any of them, I was suitable impressed, especially when riding the rock and boulder strewn trail from Princetown (plume and feathers) to Burrator reservoir. It climbed well, but with that much travel I flew down it...A great bike to ride.

Id like to give the Zorro, SON of Sazbo a try especially with the bigger wheels.

Nah mate, You will enjoy this when you ride it im sure. (signed in for updates)

Attachments

• Prince town to Burrator.jpg
    Prince town to Burrator.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 972
  • Zorro%205x5%20ad.jpg
    Zorro%205x5%20ad.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 972
Back