Proof you can polish a Turd or at least roll it in Glitter!

Re: Proof you can polish a Turd (Schwinn FS)

syncrosfan":2fa6lvv5 said:
I do love the Schwinn Homegrown bikes (more of a hardtail man myself). Great polishing job btw.! Love the Syncros crank and chainring combo! Will follow the build thread on this one (it's got two interesting angles for me: Homegrown and Syncros) I assume you're going polished stem and seatpost.

My original plans for this build are morphine (is that spelt right... or am I on drugs :shock:) into a Syncros inspired build and yes the Syncros stem with the metal cap with be polished back up only problem with a straight Syncros post is they don't come with a bit of lay back and I like the little bit of extra room that a normal/tradition post would give.

unit3":2fa6lvv5 said:
Keep going mate, looks great :)
Most of my builds don't get much interest either so I wouldn't worry. I love something a bit out of the box.
Keeps things interesting!

its was only a cheap tongue in cheek shot, my builds are a self indulgent affair in so much as I build for me, so I don't care if this thread is like tumble weed...honest :D

besides if I was building something popular with a great following like a Yeti,Klein or a FAT I'd have paid five times as much for the frame, so I guess it's all relevant ;)

Spud©™ head honcho of URT turd polishing

" only problem with a straight Syncros post is they don't come with a bit of lay back and I like the little bit of extra room that a normal/tradition post would give."
I hear you on that issue. There are some that come with a slight set-back head, but if you want more you're out of luck (I've seen once a picture of a proper set-back Syncros post, Thomson style, but those might be somewhat of an unicorn, maybe even prototype) I guess a silver Thomson set-back would do the job in a pinch as well...

Re:

Looking like this is going to be Syncros Build

Original plan was to go catalogue build i.e Yeti bar and Control Tech stem

But this is looking like its gonna be a bit of a Syncros build

Pulled a Syncros stem off ebay a while ago, it was very tarnished but owing to the fact it was missing the top cap and clamping core it was going cheap, as I’m getting into this polishing malarkey I thought I’d give it a chance at a second lease of life,
However the top caps I have in the tool box are very different the best fitting one is more of a “Tin” grey than a bright silver, the other one looks like a modern re-pop so perhaps I’ve backed a loser ?

Also what clamp should be used Black or Gold, and is the bar wrong in so much as its NOT a polished one ?

Looks genuine but never the less a very disappointing fitting top cap

In for a penny in for a pound … so gotta have a Syncros Bottom Bracket to hang the cranks off

when I've finished polishing everything I can lay my hands on I'll promise to build something ...Honest ;)

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":2pj6eodt said:
Looking like this is going to be Syncros Build

WOW! great job so far :cool:

I think you should rather stay with Hyperlite bar, it fits perfectly to frame (if syncros then take a polished Harcode bar ;))

"In for a penny in for a pound … so gotta have a Syncros Bottom Bracket to hang the cranks off"
I noticed that your BB has a 113mm axle, I read in the installation guide that the Syncros aluminum cranks take a 107mm axle though.

syncrosfan":nzaeuvhv said:
I noticed that your BB has a 113mm axle, I read in the installation guide that the Syncros aluminum cranks take a 107mm axle though.

MMmmm a brain fart moment I think
I don't know where I was looking on Sheldon's website, I must admit when I tested fitted the cranks and BB before pulling them apart to polish I though it looked a little too long :oops:

You've just confirmed what I already thought :|

better remove the copper grease of them now and then go shopping :facepalm:

thanks for the input

JoeG":18al9w9u said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=248131

Cheers Joe

I don't know if I can bring myself to fit a Plastic top cap

I think the OG polished top cap looks the best (even though it has a slightly darker "tin" look) I have a polished one on my black Syncros stem so I didn't notice the difference in color. I guess the cast aluminum doesn't polish as well as the 6061T6 of the stem.

Back