Orange P7 - 2001 (converted to ebike & now retired)

From what I've seen most bikes can be converted - certainly your standard old MTB. Modest bike fettling skills required. If you can build a bike you'll find it easy.

Seems pretty well sealed but I don't blast with the jet wash. If it's raining I carry a clear plastic cover to cover the display & controls held on with elastic bands over each side of bars. Not pretty but effective.

The kits not cheap but I didn't want a modern ebike. This has more power & range than most of the off the peg models. If my records are correct it was just shy of £690 for the kit. This included motor & cranks, battery, speed sensor, throttle, display & brake levers (with sensors to cut motor). I didn't use the brake levers.

Since initial install I have added a gear shift sensor (£24.99) which briefly cuts the motor when shifting, Double Bob battery mount (£33), Lekkie Bling ring narrow wide 42t chain ring (£85), Lekkie Final Drive Cover (£35) & Lekkie Onenut (£25) - so a further £203 of enhancements. So £893 plus cost of host bike. Cheaper than some of the lesser spec entry level ebikes - the cheapest at Pure with 25m range is £1099 https://www.pureelectric.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/pure-flux-one-electric-hybrid-bike

I tend to beast mine over it's 22m mile commute & I have a long uphill on return leg. I get home with a bit of battery to spare. On more economical rides I can get over 40 miles.

I got the kit & shift sensor from ebay. The Lekkie stuff I got from Brighton ebikes.

Last edited:
Back