Orange Frame?

PeteMCornwall

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I have just received what was sold as a 'possible Gringo', but what a lot of you thought was an O2. The details certainly matched an O2, the series 14 tubes etc. The serial number is K6K02830. Can't see any mention of an Orange serial number starting with a K, so I've emailed Orange asking for details on that.

Just wondering though what you all think as it seems to me that it has been resprayed? It's not what I would describe as 'matt', but I've never seen a matt black Orange bike. The Orange stickers are quite obviously 'ontop' of the paint and one saying Series 14 is not aligned centrally. Also, looks to me as if the bolts for the bottle cage etc have been sprayed over? I've tried to include images of those. Will I be able to undo them without damaging the frame finish if I try and mount a bottle cage and crud catcher?

In the post is a black Orange stem and SuperCross 2 handlebars, would they have the same finish?

Thank you for your opinions/advice.
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0312[1].JPG
    IMG_0312[1].JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0313[1].JPG
    IMG_0313[1].JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 38
  • orangeBike.jpg
    orangeBike.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 41
That's certainly not matt black in Orange world, looks like it's been powder coated? Orange supply replacement decals so it could be legit.

Orange has come back saying the frame number does not come back with anything but they think it's a 1998/99 Orange E4. But a little research says that frame should have an 'S Bend Powerstay Rear', mine looks straight.

Attachments

• IMG_0323[1].JPG
    IMG_0323[1].JPG
    584.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The cowl dropouts are very distinctive, and indeed suggests O2 - see 1998 Orange O2 build thread on here...
Indeed that's not Orange Matt Black.
What's the format of the serial number?
Ah weight - that would be without seat collar, headset cups and brake bosses.
Does the seat collar have an embossed O star on it?
And can you do a shot of the cable guides on the top tube?

Last edited:
The cowl dropouts are very distinctive, and indeed suggests O2 - see 1998 Orange O2 build thread on here...
Indeed that's not Orange Matt Black.
What's the format of the serial number?
Ah weight - that would be without seat collar, headset cups and brake bosses.
Does the seat collar have an embossed O star on it?
And can you do a shot of the cable guides on the top tube?
Hi
The serial number is K6K02830, Orange have said that is unfamiliar to them. They actually thought it may have been an E4 and said frame numbers from the time would have been something like MT80600434. Aparently they have seen loads of fakes before.

I've attached photo's. The weight was without a seat collar and headset. The seat collar looks to be an aftermarket one.

Thank you all for the help btw

Attachments

• IMG_0324[1].JPG
    IMG_0324[1].JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0325[1].JPG
    IMG_0325[1].JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0326[1].JPG
    IMG_0326[1].JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0327[1].JPG
    IMG_0327[1].JPG
    503.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0328[1].JPG
    IMG_0328[1].JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0329[1].JPG
    IMG_0329[1].JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Those are very ‘Orangey’ cable guides re both form and position.
That ‘on the tilt’ position is distinctive - most cheap alloy frames are on top or on side.
That gusset under the downtube is very O2.
And another thing...
The seat tube slot is at the front...again very Orangey and not cheap copy-ey

Sorry more.
The O2 came with Supercross riser bars in matt black.
And ... the two Crud Catcher bosses under the down tube. Very Orange. Not very Copy.

Back