Oldest mountain bike in UK?

regan_ev":32ya9cy6 said:
You’re right, I don’t like the Apps bike. It’s way too cramped and tall to be ridden at speed, downhill.

There wasn’t any luck in what happened in the US. Pure grit, determination, foresight and business nous that made it all take off. Perhaps you ought to do a bit of research yourself.

The Apps bike is a monstrosity. That’s why hardly anyone bought them.

As for “only Apps’s bike could ride that section” I gave you an alternative. I think you’re confusing the terms modern and contemporary.

Apps failed. His bikes were ugly. Yet they performed a function and a purpose. But whatever those were, they were NOT akin to or related to THE MOUNTAIN BIKE INDUSTRY OF TODAY.

Can’t you get your thick head around that?

Hi Regan, i know the Apps bikes aren't pretty in some eyes BUT i defy you ride one offroad and say they aren't Mountain bikes.
I was really surprised when i rode one at how good it was! They were designed in the UK for UK terrain.

Regan, you really should reign it in.

You cant write stuff like that, your personal opinion is a bit out of whack and does nothing other than to reveal your own insecurities to anyone reading.

legrandefromage":2wy2r1nh said:
Regan, you really should reign it in.

You cant write stuff like that, your personal opinion is a bit out of whack and does nothing other than to reveal your own insecurities to anyone reading.
I don’t mind that you’re judging me from what I’ve typed, that’s fair game, same as I have done of you and others. It’s human nature, and I stand by what I say and I have no insecurities whatsoever. I’ll call a spade a spade. Geoff Apps is a very, VERY strange person.

@Gruff, I really don’t fancy it, same as I don’t fancy riding Jason’s Kenny’s TT bike, which has about as much in common to mountains bikes as Apps’s Pathfinder. My 2016 Breezer is a most capable and all round bike I could ever want to ride.

Anyone who argues that Apps’s bike is a mountain bike is simply ignoring and denying how we arrived at where we are now.

No roads were paved until the manufacture of bicycles, ergo they’re all off roaders unless specifically designed to ride smooth paved roads or tracks/velodromes.

That’s it. Simple enough to comprehend, surely?

Re:

If you look at Jones bikes and his philosophy on design, it's very similar to the Apps in a number of ways. Still itching to get a go on a Jones.

Re: Re:

sthodgson":3osxe2kv said:
If you look at Jones bikes and his philosophy on design, it's very similar to the Apps in a number of ways. Still itching to get a go on a Jones.

Never tried a High Path but id love to give it a go. I like the look of it. As LGF has said, its designed for our gloopy mucky climate, not dry Cali fire roads with fast descents. They ALL have their place in the pantheon of bikes designs. We all acknowledge and respect the history, characters behind it and the evolution of mountainbikes. :)

Back