Oldest mountain bike in UK?

Hi all, I am new to the scene and have enjoyed reading through this thread.

I am in the process of resurrecting my late Dad’s MTB. I’m pretty sure it’s been in the family since new. I hadn’t looked at it in some time, so the funky geometry and sizing as others here have mentioned here really stuck out. I showed it to a friend who is much more familiar with retro bikes. He brought to my attention that it was a lot older than I realised and is probably one of the earlier MTBs in the UK.

After some internet sleuthing I managed to find the original Ammaco/Mongoose BMX brochure from 1984 featuring the Ammaco Trailfinder in question but that’s about it.

It looks relatively close to original aside from the obvious, Nerva Crankset, ’83 stamped dia-compe cantis, Weinmann rims, Sachs 6 speed shifters and front derailleur but with a Shimano SIS rear derailleur.

Anyway, I thought it might be of some interest and this is right crowd for it! 

Thanks,
Dougie

Attachments

• IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 219
  • ammacobrochureinsideBL.jpg
    ammacobrochureinsideBL.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 218
I’ll just leave this here

Attachments

• 526001BB-6A95-408D-8BD8-D30E0A9EEA54.jpeg
    526001BB-6A95-408D-8BD8-D30E0A9EEA54.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 198
Re:

First import was this Ritchey Mountainbike imported in 1982.

Attachments

• Bicycle_magazine_83.jpg
    Bicycle_magazine_83.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 170
Re: Re:

Repack Rider":540adn06 said:
First import was this Ritchey Mountainbike imported in 1982.
Happy New Year Charlie :xmas-cool:

I notice that the magazine cover was published in February 1983 so what you say about the bike featured being imported into the UK in 1982 makes sense. Do remember roughly when in 1982 you sent the bike to Richard Grant?

Have you heard from Richard Grant recently?
The last I heard of him is when he wrote an obituary for Richard Ballantine back in June 2013.

I can answer that.

I built something in 1978 that would be akin to a first MTB.

Unfortunately, someone decided within a week of finishing it that they would rather have it and it was stolen outside the Harris Museum in Preston in June 1978.

Six months of paper round and milk round money gone in an instant.

I was gutted.

It was a five speed double. Touring bike frame with the largest tyres I could find to fit.

Sprayed it rattle can midnight blue with a long mudguard on the back and a Bluemels shortie on the front.

Had a pair of T-bars and a Brooks B15 in honey.

Never set eyes on it again.

Hope the chain snapped going downhill into a sharp bend. :) :twisted:

doug1e":38bs5vw8 said:
...I am in the process of resurrecting my late Dad’s MTB. I’m pretty sure it’s been in the family since new. I hadn’t looked at it in some time, so the funky geometry and sizing as others here have mentioned here really stuck out. I showed it to a friend who is much more familiar with retro bikes. He brought to my attention that it was a lot older than I realised and is probably one of the earlier MTBs in the UK.

After some internet sleuthing I managed to find the original Ammaco/Mongoose BMX brochure from 1984 featuring the Ammaco Trailfinder in question but that’s about it.

It looks relatively close to original aside from the obvious, Nerva Crankset, ’83 stamped dia-compe cantis, Weinmann rims, Sachs 6 speed shifters and front derailleur but with a Shimano SIS rear derailleur...
Hi Dougie and welcome to RetroBike.

I can confirm that I remember seeing an Chrome plated Ammaco MTB like the one in the brochure picture you uploaded back in early 1984. I am pretty sure that it was in a bike shop in Camden Town, London near to the tube station. The chrome plated frame made it both distinctive and memorable.

I will look in the archives to see if I can find out any more information about these early MTBs.
Yes it probably is an example of one of the first mountain-bike models to be sold in the UK and surviving examples may be pretty rare. However, as you probably realise, the SIS rear derailleur will not be original.

It would be good to see what the bike looks like now. :cool:

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,
Graham

The advertising for the first Motobécane (before the brand is renamed MBK) mtb : the mt bécane but we are in 1984 already!

then a picture of the 1st generation of MBK tracker :
I had the City-Becane version of this, my first of many mountain bikes over the last 38 years

Re: Re:

Thanks, "rwm1962. That's what I love about RetroBike, Google didn't produce a picture of a Tony Oliver mountain-bike but Retrobike members can.

Making a mountain bike in the UK in 1981 would have been dificult as you would be retricted to using the available motorbike, touring bicycle and BMX components. Until the Japanese started making 26" mountain bike specific rims and tyres the Americans would have had similar problems. Though they had the advantage of having a readily available supply of fat 26" Uniroyal 'Knobby' tyres.

In the Uk in 1981 the easiest way to get hold or 26" rims and fat, though not very nobbly, tyres was to take them off the newly launched Raleigh Bomber. However these has chrome plated steel rims and those that have riden such rims will know that they are heavy and absolutely useless when wet.

Alternatively Tony Oliver could have used high quality French 650B alloy rims and 40mm wide randonneur tyres. However this would make the his 1981 'York' bike very simmilar to custom made roughstuff bikes who's British origins appear to date from the 1950s.
I need a bit o& help if possible. This Tony Oliver Bike came into the recycling workshop and we’ve little to no idea of its value. It’s Reynolds 531. its been “upgraded” by its previous owner but we’ve removed most of that and fitted new chain, cleaned up,hub, changed (and recreated cables) for the 5 speed (yes 5) sturmey archer hub. Any guidance appreciated

Attachments

• 9BCEABD7-7EE9-4D55-B63F-0A778526F293.jpeg
    9BCEABD7-7EE9-4D55-B63F-0A778526F293.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 321DBEF0-E4D0-4289-B132-8BCD2034BF15.jpeg
    321DBEF0-E4D0-4289-B132-8BCD2034BF15.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 26
I need a bit o& help if possible. This Tony Oliver Bike came into the recycling workshop and we’ve little to no idea of its value. It’s Reynolds 531. its been “upgraded” by its previous owner but we’ve removed most of that and fitted new chain, cleaned up,hub, changed (and recreated cables) for the 5 speed (yes 5) sturmey archer hub. Any guidance appreciated
Be careful not to remove any original components as these could be useful in identifying and dating the bike.
Armed with decent pictures I may be able to contact Tony to see if he can Identify and date the bike.

Be careful not to remove any original components as these could be useful in identifying and dating the bike.
Armed with decent pictures I may be able to contact Tony to see if he can Identify and date the bike.
We’ve removed the Land Cruiser tyres, searchlight, massive rear light and pannier bags that fitted a car battery (I’m not joking). All mechanical stuff we’ve cleaned. Needed a new chain and we had to make two new gear cables. I’ll post photos next week when we’re finished

Back