NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL v.2

If it turned up as gift from the missus, I'd be very polite, build it up, use on the brightest of sunniest summer days for about 20 minutes then hang it back up out of the way.

Woz":vyp5nmmd said:
Like a moth drawn to a light bulb.....I can't resist this thread simply because.

So, it's Xmas, and the subject here is the "NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL" according to the OP,
who incidentally has been rather silent of late, assumingly adopting is own thread coping strategies behind the scenes ;)

I put it to you, if money is no object would you offer the "NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL" as
a gift to your best friend?

If so, why, if not, why not? Perhaps then we could get to the crux of this bike frame.

If my best friend bought one for me I'd be wondering exactly what it was he was trying to say! :LOL:

So no, I wouldn't buy one for a friend as I think it would be an insult.

Apologies for being silent of late Woz. :oops:
I was doing 2 things. I was leaving some space to see if vcballbat would answer my question to him about any possible association with the marque, and I was leaving the decal enthusiasts to their discussion.
I don't find myself overly upset by the decals. I agree that they are shoddy, but to me it's a bit like complaining about the Ferrari badge being squint on the Lada Riva that someone is trying to sell you for Ferrari money while claiming it is a Ferrari!

lada-riva-with-20-miles-on-the-odometer-listed-for-7300_4.jpg

The main issue with this frameset, aside from the geometry, fork length, weight etc all being wrong, can be summed up in one image!

119006156_1606158779543819_3550049909150298984_o.jpg

Shoddy doesn't even cover it! :facepalm:

I think this post back on page 21 summed it up nicely.

Rapparee87":vyp5nmmd said:
Here's the deal. I don't own a lightweight Raleigh, or have ever done, except for my first bikes as a child etc, though I admired the original as 1980 was my first Tour and the team were the top team of the day arguably. So I have no interest save a casual one.

But if I bought one of the frames and cast my eyes on the horror that is the rear dropouts in particular I would be horrified. If I bought it on ebay I would suspect that I had been conned and a cheap frame had been dressed up.

It's a project dreamed up by someone with a marketing degree whose interest in bicycles, if any, ended when they learned how to drive.

The rear dropouts are subjected to the extreme forces and have had to be beefed up to pass rigerious testing. To greatly improve the strength of the connection they have been TIG Brazed at localised low temperature. This process is not to be confused with high temperature Fusion TIG Welding. Any filing or polishing of the joint would compromise it's structural integrity making it prone to stress fractures and eventually failure. The same process has been applied to the rear brake bridge as modern powerful dual pivot brake calipers are a vast improvement to those available 40 years ago. Admittedly this isn't aesthetically pleasing to some, but it is honest and fit for purpose.
VC. Technical Director of BS

Money no object, for a gift, I would buy this frame, but would not go to the lengths like JSH - a modernish 105 gruppo would be slapped on it with the idea just to make it a fairly decent rider for a part-time enthusiast / enjoyable summer commuter. Just leave out any other gimmickry (like must have silver components) or pretense about period correctness, greatness and what not. As it stands, this is the best frame set offered by Raleigh UK today and I think that alone would be enough to please a casual cyclist friend.

Otherwise, I think this thread is still missing a ride report; secretly I've been hoping Zoop would wade in on the thread too.

Woz":1pjujwvh said:
secretly I've been hoping Zoop would wade in on the thread too.
He's enjoying his holiday, probably on the other side of the world. Paid for by his smiling pics on the R 40th A photoshoot

Re:

I money was no object I’d buy all of them for a friend.

He’s a scrap dealer.

Woz":3lll4g1b said:
Money no object, for a gift, I would buy this frame, but would not go to the lengths like JSH - a modernish 105 gruppo would be slapped on it with the idea just to make it a fairly decent rider for a part-time enthusiast / enjoyable summer commuter. Just leave out any other gimmickry (like must have silver components) or pretense about period correctness, greatness and what not. As it stands, this is the best frame set offered by Raleigh UK today and I think that alone would be enough to please a casual cyclist friend.

Otherwise, I think this thread is still missing a ride report; secretly I've been hoping Zoop would wade in on the thread too.

How's about one of these beauties instead... similar spec and price.. :)

https://harobikes.com/collections/classic-steel

vcballbat":3lwralfe said:
Woz":3lwralfe said:

How's about one of these beauties instead... similar spec and price.. :)

Posted before, but I do hate to say that getting hold of one in Europe is potentially a struggle due to a trademark and distribution dispute with Massi from Spain. A quick look through this list https://harobikes.com/pages/international does throw up a possible channel with two available models: https://www.indiansummer.ch/brands/masi/

Anyhow, back to Raleigh. The Raleigh UK range is shockingly *iss poor and a far cry from child / youth memories.

Re:

Found an old pic of Mick Brown, a local pro from the 60s, showing how it was done then.
Looks like he is using Simplex SLJ, which means that the photo must be 1972 or later. My go-to archive site lists Evian-Simplex teams only for 1975, '76, and '77. Judging from the rest of his equipment, I'd say 1975.

I don't find myself overly upset by the decals. I agree that they are shoddy, but to me it's a bit like complaining about the Ferrari badge being squint on the Lada Riva that someone is trying to sell you for Ferrari money while claiming it is a Ferrari!

For me the decal thing is more about getting original frames refinished authentically than it is about the anniversary frame, which at least got the italics authentic, even if the size of the decals and their placement on the frame itself could have been done with more sensitivity, or accommodation of sensitivities.

Re: Re:

torqueless":3cmbkxrt said:
even if the size of the decals and their placement on the frame itself could have been done with more sensitivity, or accommodation of sensitivities.

Do you work in conflict resolution and diplomacy? :LOL:

Back