Naughty Naughty Halfords on older stuff.

I got two Pioneer DAB car radios from them for £20 each instead of £99. I kept very quiet at the till.

Very quiet.

Shhhhhhh.....

Re:

Evening Standard, 23 Feb 2017:
"Investors reversed out of car parts-to-bikes retailer Halfords, which dived 14.7p to 342.1p as Peel Hunt cut its rating to Sell, concerned that cyclists are replacing their bikes less frequently".

Their 'dedicated' bike branch in Wimbledon high street closed down recently. It was useful but I think people realised they were overcharging for repairs and taking advantage of inexperienced cyclists. Because I'm considered a mad keen cyclist at work by my colleagues, they started asking me what I thought about the prices they'd been quoted by Halfords for what were relatively straightforward jobs, some running to the price of a cheap new bike.

Re:

I have bought lots at our local Halfrauds, they always check the online price without asking to make sure their price matches.

Re:

They are supposed to honour online pricing. I always go in with tinterweb price and is always matched or I would walk out!

I was in Cotswold outdoor shop the other day. Looking at the leathermans and mentioned to the sales guy,I though they were a little pricy.
He said they price match so I asked if he had a computer there :LOL: so he looked it up and price matched it to £41, with the wee pouch and keyring.

If they price match they need to look instore to do so. Might as well ask.

Re:

Tbh, there should really be no price variations within the same retailer and company (unless they're doing particular special offers). If you can order an item online and select their collect in-store option for delivery of that item, then there's no difference to shopping in their physical stores.

Its about making money, if they can squeeze more out of some than others then fair play to them. Ebay on which most of us buy and sell would be useless if any given item had a retail price no one was able to undercut or do a deal on. Customers who know whats what and sellers who likewise know what they are about makes for the interesting cut and thrust of capitalism we enjoy. I work in Pizza delivery, those without the knowledge pay over the odds for a pizza and those that trawl the deals get a bargain. I'm not going to do the company that pays me out of cash by telling every punter all the dodges to get the best deal, its the savvy customer that does best.

Re: Re:

xerxes":qechr3i0 said:
Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times, we see price obfuscation across all industries and market sectors. Look how complicated it is to compare tariffs for mobile phones and utilities, etc. and how difficult it is to get a firm price for a train or airline ticket and how the price varies wildly according when you travel and how far in advance you book.

Then there's nonsense cashback deals, multi buys, special offers and vouchers. And the little annoyances like the price labels in supermarkets, where you have similar items sold in different size packs and one will show the price per Kg and the other per 100g, so you have to a do some mental arithmetic to see which is the better deal.

It's all designed to make price comparison difficult and really gets on my pip.

+1 and im the kind of guy will will argue the toss in such cases. The wife and kid have learned to leave me to it :twisted: :LOL:

Re:

Shaun Keavney (6music breakfast DJ) had a mahoosive rant about them a few months back. He wanted some lights for his bike. They were dearer instore than online, from the same shop.

From a retailers POV - if you want us to price match, that's cool, but do a little bit of the work yourself, don't expect us to trawl google looking for the best deal for you to save money when 'the internet shop' isn't paying ever increasing rents and business rates, especially if you are shopping in an indy.

But yeah, why offer one price online and another in store, it's the same stock, and the same business.

Latest posts

Back