MTB, Pollard ???

nastro62

Dirt Disciple
Had this MTB for quite a while. I've never fully trusted whether it actually is a Pollard. You know, just because it has Pollard decals, doesn't automatically make it a Pollard. It just doesn't fit the kind of stuff that Pollard did, and if it's a Pollard, it's late on in their history, although the frame workmanship is old school. I'm a sucker for fillet brazing, so this Ebay bargain became mine. I stuck bar ends, SPD pedals and a B17 on it, but apart from that, it's as I bought it. Hubs are solid axle Sun Tour, rear block is close ratio which gives smooth easy shifting. Any comments or observations are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_190849.jpg
    IMG_20200401_190849.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200401_190858.jpg
    IMG_20200401_190858.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200401_190909.jpg
    IMG_20200401_190909.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200401_192620.jpg
    IMG_20200401_192620.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 72
I can't be of any help with information, but I love that. It's a good job I haven't seen anything that cool and in that size on Ebay, because I have no room but not sure I could resist.

Any build plans or does that depend on confirming Pollard as the maker first?

I can't be of any help with information, but I love that. It's a good job I haven't seen anything that cool and in that size on Ebay, because I have no room but not sure I could resist.

Any build plans or does that depend on confirming Pollard as the maker first?
I think the bike is generally fine as it is. The paint isn't perfect, but doesn't warrant the cost of a decent re-enamel. The rear sealed bearing hub is rough, so that needs sorting. The seatpost binder bolt needs a trim. I'd like to put matching tyres on, nothing too chunky though. Other than that it's overdue for a complete bearing service & wheel true/tension check. It's not a normal restoration as I have no guide as to what the components were when it was first built up.

How cool is that?! With the lack of a sleeve on the seatpost cluster and the rear flat canti hanger, it looks similar to my old Bromwich Cyclone which was badged as Evans cycles. Great colours.

Thank you so much for commenting & putting these photos my way. There is one big connection between my "Pollard" and those 2 Bromwich bikes. The little tube brazed onto the seat stays that looks like it's for a pannier rack is the same on all 3 frames. I have never seen rack mounting done like this elsewhere. The style & details on the Bromwich & "Pollard" frames seems very close. You sound more clued up on the origins of the Bromwich bikes you had than I am about the "Pollard". I'm not greatly bothered as to whether my bike is badged wrongly, it's such a nice bike that I can forgive it. I'm certainly in an open mind about whether mine's a Bromwich too.

So what's the conclusion then? Built by Bromwich or Jim McIlwain or Lee Cooper (both with Bromwich in the past I believe)?

Thank you so much for commenting & putting these photos my way. There is one big connection between my "Pollard" and those 2 Bromwich bikes. The little tube brazed onto the seat stays that looks like it's for a pannier rack is the same on all 3 frames. I have never seen rack mounting done like this elsewhere. The style & details on the Bromwich & "Pollard" frames seems very close. You sound more clued up on the origins of the Bromwich bikes you had than I am about the "Pollard". I'm not greatly bothered as to whether my bike is badged wrongly, it's such a nice bike that I can forgive it. I'm certainly in an open mind about whether mine's a Bromwich too.
Yeah I reckon you’re right not to be too bothered. Jim Mcilwain built my yellow bike, when I got it it was badged as an Evans. I ‘creatively’ put on Bromwich decals after a repaint because of the connection, but I guess I should have technically left it as Evans 🤔

Jim may well have built frames for Pollard too.

Yeah I reckon you’re right not to be too bothered. Jim Mcilwain built my yellow bike, when I got it it was badged as an Evans. I ‘creatively’ put on Bromwich decals after a repaint because of the connection, but I guess I should have technically left it as Evans 🤔

Jim may well have built frames for Pollard too.
Thanks again for your insight. V cool !

Back