Jack Taylor Super Tourist - 1983 built - sold 1990 -

Set up my Ostrich bag on the Super Tourer yesterday. Then tried it out round the coast. I just ordered a £5 bar extension to try it, make sure it all fits and works before ordering a fancy Nitto version. I need the space due to the Mafac safety levers.
Good bag, strong, holds a mountain of gear and secure with a strap underneath holding it on the rack.
Always good to get out and ride.
Getting it sorted as I have a few days off so will hopefully get away and head south on some quiet roads.

Swapping out the front derailleur and also the chain for a NOS 1980's 5/6 speed. I think at some point that the front derailleur was swapped out in the shop after being built and then 7 years later being finally sold as the Arabesque mech does not like running on the straight arm Stronglight crank. There is minimal room and when I do get it adjusted/trimmed it doesn't take much more than going up and down the cog before the mech is hitting the back of the crank arm. The arabesque has the out turned bit right at the front which doesnt help but the flex means when the crank arm comes around it hits the bottom outside edge of the cage. I think the right size chain with the 7mm pins rather than this one which is 8.3mm wide and I am going to try a old Sora cage which I run on my Mercian with the exact same chainset but in a triple. The Sora cage is very flat and doesn't even look close to hitting. It may not have been swapped out but I don't think it was run far. To be fair when I got it it had never been in the big ring as there was not a mark. Just a bit of tinkering, good for the soul ;)

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I've seen the Sora front mech used on quite a few vintage triples, especially Mercians for some reason. Clearly a versatile mech. My mate uses one on his, just removed the Sora decal.

The bag looks great BTW.

Well I did manage to get Monday afternoon and today off.
So the rough plan due to my late start was I would get a lift Monday lunchtime out towards Melvich, Bettyhill way and head south to Altnaharra and then see how I was going and either head back towards home through remote Sire and Forsinard or keep heading south towards Lairg and Dingwall and make an overnighter at least out of it.
The Super Tourist has a new KMC chain in the right width which with a bit of front derailleur adjustment improves the running in the big ring immensely. I suspect that the chain being unused for 30 odd years, even though new and kept inside, may have been done for and that just before I picked it up a new chain had been fitted, maybe, maybe not but either way the heavily oiled Regina chain that was on it was 8.3mm wide instead of the usual 7.3mm and with the Arabesque front mech needing to go well past the ring to engage the chain made the stronglight crank arm hit the back of the mech, making it virtually impossible to make it engage properly or even stay on the ring as the crank arm would hit it so hard that it would shoot it back onto the small ring. These Stronglight 80 arms have such tight clearance to the chainring that the front derailleur needs to be setup just right. On my Mercian I have the same Stronglight crankset but run a Sora front derailleur as it is very flat and straight on the outside edge of the cage. The chain would also occasionally not engage on the larger cog of the freewheel and would just run over the teeth meaning the was no engagement just a free spin. The new chain fixed this as well. Certainly had a couple of on the fly adjustments before it was working spot on but now it is as it should be, like a new bike :)
Any way as this was only going to be a short overnighter or long ride into the night gear was kept to a minimum with just a jacket and a change of clothes as well as my long riding trouser and a long sleeve jersey. It was pretty hot up here on Monday so shorts and short sleeve jersey were the order of the day.
I got dropped off by Heather just short of Bettyhill as she was going that way for lunch. It was a shame I had to go into work in the morning as I was now starting at 12. and the wind was coming from the south now so I would have a headwind for the rest of the afternoon. My thinking was if I got to the Sire junction and the wind was too bad I would head east and back towards home probably about 4 or 5 hours but should be a cross or tail wind.
As it was I was approaching Sire about 20 miles into the ride and pushing into a big headwind down the valley, the bike was handling really nicely with the bag on the front and my trunk bag on the rear rack, feeling like I was putting a lot of effort in, even with the headwind. I stopped for a drink or something and just happened to turn the crank backwards, it was really stiff. At first I thought it was the rear derailleur or the freewheel but soon worked out it was the bottom bracket. I knew inside me what it was as I hadn't pulled it apart and regreased it after it sitting for 34 years, I had done the hubs, headset and everything else but because it was working and I just wanted to ride I thought I would do that on a rainy day. I probably rode about a half mile before I thought I need to stop before I do any damage to it.
Luckily for me I phoned Heather and she was just about to leave and would meet me back at Bettyhill or come and get me. I was pretty sure I would make the 20 odd mile back to Bettyhill easily enough without it seizing up as it had grease, it was just solidifying as I went.
Luckily I only had to ride back to Bettyhill and was so lucky to have Heather there with the van.
Once home I sat out in the back garden and pulled the Stronglight bottom bracket apart. With the chain off it was quite an effort to turn it and with the crank arm off impossible. It felt more than just solid grease, though it was smooth and didn't in any way feel dry. At first I thought it might have nipped up somehow, just overtightened enough. Once apart it was clear how the grease had turned to a thick heavy grade, also and importantly the plastic sleeve was deformed and split on each end with a bit of plastic pulled off. This may have been the cause of the tightness. Strangely as well, the non drive side had 12 bearings instead of the usual 11 fall out. Once all cleaned, degreased and re assembled, though without the sleeve for the short term until the new one arrives, both sides only took 11 bearings?? One spare.
I know, I know, my own fault as I should have done it a year ago when I got it, but it is done now and spinning like a top. Now it definitely feels like the new bike. I have another day or two off so will hopefully get out on it then for a longer ride. Not the ride I was aiming for but still better than no ride and hopefully getting all the bugs ironed out.

Jamie

Was out yesterday on a lovely ride from Contin out to Meig dam with my usual wingman Brian (epicyclo) and my young son Caleb. Calebs first time down this road.
It was certainly a good day for it, bit of cloud, no wind but quite warm.
While not a big epic ride it was good 4 or so hours out and about enjoying the beautiful scenery.
I had the Super Tourer sorted, I hoped, everything cleaned and regreased, BB, headset, hubs, new tyres and it didn't disappoint. It really did finally feel like riding a new bike, quiet, everything slick, even the dyno that I inadvertently clicked on was hardly noticeable.
I got Caleb to take it for a ride, he doesn't like drop bars at all, but put it in a gear and said just ride the tops and see what you think. Well when I could finally prize his backside from the seat, he was all full of wonder at how nice it was. It's a start ;)
Anyway, good to be out mid week and getting a ride in with my boy.

Jamie

Jamie