Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Supratada":2gs8dqpx said:
Yes, I've got a pair of Big-uns (ooh-er) now both with rotors, though one is a 180 and one over 200.
Both the seat tower and swingarm on mine were definitely painted, as bits were peeling off. It was just that the vapour blaster said he thought the seat tower was anodised and I'd "have trouble". Given that's his very job I wasn't doubtful of him. Hopefully the swingarm isn't, but if so, I'll just have to take it easy.

Supra if you plan on using those silver hope m4 brakes you will need a 185 rotor for the rear (your front disc will prob be 205) both of which will need No8 Calipers.

If you have a pic of your 205 rotor I might have a matching 185. I have a few No8 Calipers if you need one, I’d be happy to swap your Caliper and rotor for mine for postage if your interested drop me a pm.

Hang on hang on. It'll be awhile before I get to mounting brakes. I have 1 185 rotor and 1 205 rotor, plus an adaptor bracket to hoy one of the calipers out enough for the 205.
Is that the issue or is it a radius to pad thing?

Re:

Sorry didn’t mean to confuse anything it’s just you said earlier you have a 180 disc.

The calipers you have (silver m4) are for 165,185,205 rotors depending on weather you have a No 3,5 or 8 Caliper and it also depends on weather you are mounting on the front of rear. rear IS mount is 20mm smaller that the front, Eg No 8 Caliper is for 205mm front or 185mm rear rotor.

See here:

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... ttings.pdf

I guess the first question is what number calipers do you have?

I like cantis, and v-brakes. They is simple.

It’s a no 3.

Edit. Ok, from reading that, it seems the 3 calliper will work on a 185 disc on the ISO mount. I have a HBthingy mount adapter too, for the 205.
My mind defaults to putting the bigger disc on the front, but that might be a car thing.

Bejesus, whoever owned my front wheel before me has countersunk the fixing holes.

33839067938_a34ff67bc1_b.jpg

Not the same guy who drilled into the bars and stem but cut from the same cloth it seems.

Supratada":2xwaa5zm said:
Ah thanks, so just a soft grip needed to undo them.
I nipped along to our local bearing supplier only to find it closed shop nearly ten years ago.

Well, what a stupid way to cover bearings. After trying as carefully as I could to unscrew the caps and still marking the anodising, they did in fact pry off. But there’s no way to do that without using a small sharp edged tool and that damages the metal.

I guess they could be rubbed down and reanodised along with all the other parts going off. Since I’m putting the hub on a 20mm bolt through axle I can’t reuse them anyway.

Supratada":1jgo8gyg said:
Bejesus, whoever owned my front wheel before me has countersunk the fixing holes.

33839067938_a34ff67bc1_b.jpg

Not the same guy who drilled into the bars and stem but cut from the same cloth it seems.

Yours don’t look great but my original (97) disc is countersink like that so could be original.

Back