Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Great project, looking forward to seeing this get built.

If you end up changing the main frame colour it just has to be polished :cool:

Mark

Kevhl":3mnj3b0h said:
The end caps aren't so much caps, they screw into each other.
The bearings will normally either stay in the hub and can be knocked out, or will stay on the end caps.
Just took a pic of one of mine.
For ref. the 20mm adapters just push in.

Just a note for the op my bigun qr axle was different to yours. Mine had a solid axle with end caps a bit like the XC/build rears do. It was also a total ass to get apart, so much so I damaged 1 of the endcaps.

32650289427_eb0570c070_c.jpg

Frame and fork legs back from vapour blasting.
I'm reminded of that series with Mark Evans, restoring an old E-Type ( I think it was called either "A Car is Reborn" or "Mark Evans Restores a Knackered E-Type Whether You Like It or Not, Deal With It M*********ers!" ) when he got it bead blasted and it revelaed a whole host of knocks and scuffs he had no idea about before.
Same here, one of which you can clearly see above.

Turns out fork legs are Magnesium Alloy so can't be polished, as they'll just go grey again. The main spar, to my mind anyway, has all the look of silver paint but without any of the protective qualities of a paint finish. I said to the wife I think I need some contemplative shed time to make a decision. She said "Do you mean w******g?"

47609396122_28cbd1289d_b.jpg

First try at polishing the saddle tower. Not too happy with results, there's a blotchyness on the triangular panel bits there and a roughness to it still.
I wet sanded it with 1500 grit papers, then polished on three wheels, sisal, stitch mop and loose mop.
Think I'm gonna have to go over again with 1200 paper to get the micro blast marks out.

Oddly, the vapour blaster chap said he thought that part alone was anodised, and that I would "have trouble". If it is that it could explain things and hopefully the rest will be easier.

Re:

33798385988_491ff1451b_b.jpg

That's more like it. A pair of Marzocchi Shivers from 2002 are in the post also. I may well strip and red anodise the clamps on those.

God my shoulders and hands ache now. Two afternoons of polishing and I'm aching. I've gotten old and weak, like an abandoned tea bag on the floor below a waste bin, in a lay-by, somewhere north of Glossop.

The seat towers on the earlier Sannies were indeed anodised, so yours may well have been too.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Ahh, so optimistically, the rear arm might be a lot easier to polish? I chuffin' hope so 'cos I'm still in pain.

This arrived today....
32751755477_7053cc8f24_b.jpg

I'm thinking polished legs and red ano clamps.

Re:

Those dc shivers will look awesome with polished legs and red crowns. Can’t wait to see this built.

Did the Big ‘un come with the disc rotor? They can be a pain to find as they are 5 bolt rather than the more common 6.

Most San Ans had polished and anodised towers and swing arms with painted main bodies. When I sorted mine out I cheated and had the local metal works strip and polish, only cost an extra £50.

Yes, I've got a pair of Big-uns (ooh-er) now both with rotors, though one is a 180 and one over 200.
Both the seat tower and swingarm on mine were definitely painted, as bits were peeling off. It was just that the vapour blaster said he thought the seat tower was anodised and I'd "have trouble". Given that's his very job I wasn't doubtful of him. Hopefully the swingarm isn't, but if so, I'll just have to take it easy.

Back