MOTOR CHAT

Bullpup":3qj6ibqr said:
Love it! what are the marks on the boot or rather trunk?

1970's chrome:

159275.jpg

3477.jpg

8323780003_large.jpg

Re:

Wow - BIG project!

I had an either '71 or '72 blue color version of the Formula 400. Great car, except I started up in the property marketing business and then had to get rid of it, as the two door-ness wasn't conducive to ushering over-weight people in and out of the back seat to show properties.

Only negative thing about it (either than the horrendous fuel consumption) was, the trunk started leaking and nobody could ever figure out where the leak was coming from, so every time it rained for a couple days I'd end up with and inch of water in the 'boot' (as you Brixits call it) ...

Looks like your gonna end up with a fabulous collector, once your done ...

Cheers for the interest guys.

The big Cheese is spot on, it had a luggage rack fitted to the boot, it's a nice period accessory but i think it spoils the lines a bit so will probably leave it off, have also ditched the tow ball.

Isz1UkUl.jpg

Bullpup":ijwtz7hl said:
How little space is there in that boot then?

The boot is quite shallow and would have the spare (space saver) wheel in there so not a lot of room for the size of car (it's 16.5' long but all bonnet and doors)

Another couple of pics, gutted out the rotten interior and found the floors rock solid and rust free, have removed all the factory bitumen (and a ton of rat shite), will clean and pain the floors before the carpets go in. New dash also partly seen in this pic, came black (was from a 77 Trans Am) but painted it brown, will be looking for a better wood grain insert soon.

zHQ1Fwnl.jpg

Got this mint Deluxe steering wheel from US E-bay, the sporty (and common) Formula wheel as fitted to Trans-Ams was optional on this car (as was the rear spoiler) but i prefer the thin rimmed Deluxe wheel, came black but i painted it brown with Vinyl paint.

fXt5nZgl.jpg

Hopefully it'll look a bit like this when it's done, may even get the original Rallye 2 wheels (repro's available) which were also optional on the car when new.

74enOD7l.jpg

Here's the 70 Mustang Mach1 Shaker i built from a rolling shell about 15 years ago, sold it far too quickly and far too cheaply, also did loads of stuff to the car i would do differently now, older and wiser i guess.

Mq9qJHnl.jpg

Re:

Satisfy my idle curiosity please. I'm considering a motorbike project, cafe racer type deal and know some of you have a loooad of experience fannying around with them. How much hassle is it? I mean is changing wheels and forks, buying tanks and wotnot fairly straight forward? I appreciate a bit of fabrication work is needed and I've no problems with that but am I letting myself in for a hairripping oot exercise? I'm happy enough with my mechanical skills but actual bike knowledge is poor...(very). Any pointers appreciated. I'm only casting my eye about just now as I fancy doing something that isn't a push bike.

What you got in mind Kaiser? Buy something to transform into the cafe racer style?
Or buy something already in that style and improve it a bit?

Back