MOTOR CHAT

Re:

Still not sure as I'm trying to find out as much as a I can at the moment. A few episodes of cafe racer does not qualify me to make too many big decisions :) . I'm looking at CB's and BMW's as they seem popular and I'm guessing well supported. I'd also say I'm as much interested in the process than actually becoming a biker as such, so finding the right level to jump in at will be important but probably going with the transform rather than buy and thats as much from a ££ standpoint too.

Re:

I don't know if it qualifies me but I've got about 43 years continues involvement with motor bikes so if I can help I'm here to bounce ideas off or advice.

Re:

Cheers bud. I fear if I do take the plunge you may regret that :p

Re: Re:

kaiser":12gzmeip said:
Satisfy my idle curiosity please. I'm considering a motorbike project, cafe racer type deal and know some of you have a loooad of experience fannying around with them. How much hassle is it? I mean is changing wheels and forks, buying tanks and wotnot fairly straight forward? I appreciate a bit of fabrication work is needed and I've no problems with that but am I letting myself in for a hairripping oot exercise? I'm happy enough with my mechanical skills but actual bike knowledge is poor...(very). Any pointers appreciated. I'm only casting my eye about just now as I fancy doing something that isn't a push bike.

It takes ages and heaps of experience to get a cafe racer right - that's if you're talking about a proper one. I used to be the go to guru for that when I was younger, but I put more time into engines, transmissions and handling than cosmetics.

These days I would buy the Royal Enfield cafe racer. It's the best looking and most accurate interpretation I've seen from the successor to the company that was the first to produce a production cafe racer (as opposed to real race bikes). I actually want one but think I would look a bit ridonculous these days.

And don't worry about the performance, there's plenty left in there. I was getting 110 mph over a measured 1/2mile on the Dores road in the late 60s with a mid 50s Bullet, but that required a certain amount of enthusiasm to ride because the fuel injection* I fitted meant it was a pig at less than full throttle. But these days all that is sorted, so it must be possible to double its somewhat anaemic output.

*Not like modern fuel injection - a Wal Phillips device popular on Speedway bikes, hence optimised for full throttle.

They are available in black. The proper colour for a man's bike. :)

Royal+Enfield_caferacer.JPG

Re:

I had been toying with the idea of re-building my 63-64 Bonneville into a Triton but my Bonny is unit construction and I prefer a pre-unit engine in a feather bed frame.

Re:

Curse you Kaiser I just went on Google Images to attach a photo of a Triton and I got a funny feeling in my nether regions again :facepalm:

Re:

That Enfield does look cracking. Rob what does 'unit' mean?

Re:

Sorry mate, unit construction is when the engine and gear box are contained with in the same casing, and pre unit is when the gear box is in its own casing separate from the engine and joined by a primary chain. The unit engine doesn't fill the Norton Featherbed frame as well as the pre unit on does IMHO.

Back