Marin Team Issue?

It has pannier mounts too, so probably a team marin.

Please dont anybody say that certain issues came with rack mounts....lol

The team issue in the post above yours seems to have rack mounts.... šŸ¤£

Last edited:
For comparison, here are a couple that have passed through my hands over the last year or so;

'93 Team Marin

'93 Team Issue

The only thing that throws me on yours is that the cable guides on the top tube appear to be on the other side when compared with the above two.

That's a good spot. It does however look like the cable guides on mine are on the same side as this 92 Team issue:

Ya I'm not sure how telling the cable guide location is be it drive side or not, at least looking at the '92

Unless my eyes are playing tricks

These both from the archive here '92

Drive side

1992_Marin_Team_Issue_Marin_Lite_scan.jpg

and non drive side

1992_Marin_Team_Issue_catalog_scan.JPG

Maybe there was a changeover in there at some point and depending on the factory that changeover spanned enough months to cover more than one model year. . . am I making sense?

and these both snagged from build threads on the board though forgive me for not remembering who's

top tube cable routing on the drive side
14112996135_a220024efd_k.jpg

and non drive side

1992_Marin_Team_Issue_03.jpeg

Last edited:
However, it could just be the issue of different territories having different rules as to which side the front brake on a bike has to be.....like between the uk and a lot of mainland Europe.....

However, it could just be the issue of different territories having different rules as to which side the front brake on a bike has to be.....like between the uk and a lot of mainland Europe.....

That could make sense from a cable routing perspective.

I never imagined a simple query would create so much intrigue. I think I shall regard mine as a team marin issue - or TMI šŸ¤£

It can either be a 1993 Team Marin or a 1993 Team Issue. Generally, the X1xxxx should be the Team Issue and the x2xxxx serial number would be the Team. BUT ...I have seen plenty of Team Issues being labelled with a M2xxxxx. I think it was all about what was ordered from shops and what was already built and ready to ship in the factory! Easy as that. There are PLENTY of Team Issues and Teams with the "wrong" serial number out there.

So by that logic, it doesn't matter which decals you put on it....if marin didn't care when they made it, why care now.....and of course you can reap the benefit of it being worth far more....?

Just need to find some nice shiny xtr for it!

Im sure there's an ethical dilemma somewhere here, but i just can't quite put my finger on it....

Well ...thats the way it is! Being worth more? I dont know ... Also depends on which fork you have to it. The didnt have the same (colored) fork. Also, a lot of MARIN enthusiasts know about it. They will not pay more for an Issue frame than for a Team frame. It all depends on the decals and the forks. If its the bare frame, it basically doesnt matter!

I think the cable routing absolutely switched sides depending on market.

My '92 has it on the non-drive side and came from Europe. Who knows if it started out there, but it came that way to me!

And as @br0qn mentioned, there are plenty of examples out there on the drive side, too.

Either way, Team or Team Issue, nice frame that will clean up great and is a bargain at fifty quid!

As for that downtube, are we sure it's not riffled? Definitely looks to be in the photo you posted, up near the headtube junction...

Back