Marin Team Issue?

That number does make it a 93 team marin......but......there is anecdotal evidence that team issues can carry a 2 as an identifier......I say anecdotal as I've never been able to absolutely prove it......and nearly all numbers I've collected have come from restored bikes.....not ones in their original form.....

They definitely come with a 1 as a model identifier for certain too.

The reason i find this questionable is that despite several frames being identical lower in the range, THEY all carry individual identification numbers....bv and pm for example....

So.....

That number does make it a 93 team marin......but......there is anecdotal evidence that team issues can carry a 2 as an identifier......I say anecdotal as I've never been able to absolutely prove it......and nearly all numbers I've collected have come from restored bikes.....not ones in their original form.....

They definitely come with a 1 as a model identifier for certain too.

The reason i find this questionable is that despite several frames being identical lower in the range, THEY all carry individual identification numbers....bv and pm for example....

So.....

Could go either way then 😂 You could easily imagine Marin simply decaling identical frames according to market demand for the different models and/or a few restorers giving their Team Marins a bit of an upgrade to Team issue.

There's absolutely no sign of any decals on this and there's been a bit of attempt to delogo other components. I think even the brake arms have been stripped of anodising - probably due to it's prior use as a commuter.

I'm happy enough with the 50 quid I paid for it (my mate was actually going to give it me for free when I expressed an interest after he listed it on Facebook). Despite the scabby looks and hotch potch of parts it rides really well.

Last edited:
For £50.....its got to be close to bargain of the century.....if it was me i would just leave the top tube decal off!

Looking forward to seeing what your going to do with it.

One final...completely non conclusive.....point of dating it.....

If the front mech is original to the bike, then its a team as the team issue had the next step up.....xtr on it.

One final...completely non conclusive.....point of dating it.....

If the front mech is original to the bike, then its a team as the team issue had the next step up.....xtr on it.

That's a good shout as the crankset is Deore I think. However, the bottom bracket bolts look awfully like XTR M900 ones. I haven't investigated the bottom bracket yet.

For comparison, here are a couple that have passed through my hands over the last year or so;

'93 Team Marin

'93 Team Issue

The only thing that throws me on yours is that the cable guides on the top tube appear to be on the other side when compared with the above two.

You could accidentally grind them off, whilst not paying attention! Then foolishly get the wrong decals too...... ;)

The very thought!

Back