Manitou 1's - missing internals! What do the missing parts look like?

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.

1st time having a go at a fork rebuild.

Bought these Manitou 1's in an 1 1/4" flavour sometime ago and stashed them for a future project. I'm now starting on that project and have taken them apart to replace the internal with new elastomers.
Expecting a gungey mess of deteriorated rubber, I was surprised to find they contained nothing at all! Suppose I should could myself lucky that I haven't got to deal with the gunk!

So, my question is....
What do the missing parts look like? I'm guessing it's some sort of assembly that holds the elastomers but what's the order of washers, seals etc?
Normally, if I had the internals, I'd have a reference but this time I've got nothing to go on in reference as what to buy.

Am I after non-obtainium hardware? - I can get the elastomers easy enough but what about the rest? .... or am I going to have to find another donor fork?

Is there another alternative - say a spring kit that may be better?

Here's pics as always.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

20211120_105019.jpg 20211120_112535.jpg

20211118_151506.jpg

Just put mine back together today

Any help?

Thanks Mark. Yes...that'll definitely help.
I think fguki is selling spring upgrade kits for m1's

Thanks Pete. I'll have a look at this.

View attachment 584707

Just put mine back together today

Perfect!
The diagram Mark linked looked like it was more complex than that!
Looks like I already have most of the parts...just need Elastomers and washers....and the plastic locater on the bottom of the slider!
Result! 👍 :cool:

Thanks for the replies.
boy"O"boy

Thanks Mark. Yes...that'll definitely help.

Thanks Pete. I'll have a look at this.

Perfect!
The diagram Mark linked looked like it was more complex than that!
Looks like I already have most of the parts...just need Elastomers and washers....and the plastic locater on the bottom of the slider!
Result! 👍 :cool:

Thanks for the replies.
boy"O"boy
'Plastic locator' is the bush, this might be the hardest part to source I guess... there should also be a set of these on the inside of the lowers near the top (off memory)... pretty sure mine just had 2 elastomers per leg, they are now as hard as a push pop candy and pretty certain mine came to me stock.

Thanks for all the replies and info added to this thread. I've ordered the missing parts I need so my Manitou's should be sorted soon.
'Plastic locator' is the bush, this might be the hardest part to source I guess...
These are the parts I'm missing Tomas.
My pair of forks are missing these. Any leads on a pair of these would be greatly appreciated.
They are not a 'normal' size some I'm struggling to find an equivalent from bearing and Bush suppliers.
Internal diameter is 24mm
External diameter is 27mm
Width of Bush is 6mm.

Any other ideas or does someone have a pair of original spares they'd be happy to part with.
I've circled the pic of the part. 20211118_151506.jpg

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Are they plastic? could you not have some 3d printed if so.

Are they plastic? could you not have some 3d printed if so.
Not sure Mark. Not having one at hand makes it trickier. Maybe they are more like a low friction material ~ some sort of nylon perhaps.
But yes, 3D printing could be an option. I'd have to research which printing media would be best in that application.

boy"O"boy

Back