Why do we want rare, complicated stuff?! Amp forks kupput

enigma

Retro Guru
So I succumbed to a long held desire recently for the amazing looking Amp forks, I know with every piece of common sense in my head, to not muddle with rare, obsolete, unicorn parts.. But I did it anyway!
Bought here, and all seeming sound, but surface rusting in the steel bridge at the top of the fork prompted a thorough cosmetic restoration for a current build.
All in amazing condition in terms of wear, seemingly no wear of pins or housing, pins were a bugger to gently remove.
Started cleaning up the metal coil spring with a wire brush and some rust cleaner, and it broke...
Top coil just like cars do, tiny bit of shiny metal visible, i.e. been cracked through for yonks and finally let go.
Now the last person to ride these must of known.. I imagine, anyhow it is what it is, a bloody expensive mistake entirely of my own.
I will put some primer on the cleaned up bits, reassemble and put in the cupboard because one day never I may find a spring.. an elastomer wouldnt hurt either as thats not looking the best.
So for now I stick to K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid, and put the project twos in, maybe with a flexstem as this is meant to be comfy cruising toe dip into singlespeed for the first time.

Thats all just sharing my day ruining frustration, as I am sure its common enough with this retro rarity, stuff which I don't chase that often. I now remember why I gave a lot of stuff a steer round as a lad. Rigid steel never breaks!

Don´t fret about it too much, it just comes with fiddling with old parts and who knows when it last was ridden. The spring may also be considered a wear item. At least it is relatively easy to replace and it didn´t break while riding, damaging something (or someone!) else.

I think AMP spare springs do come up for sale from time to time and should not be too expensive. Worth putting a wanted ad up with some pics of your forks as there were several versions.

Don´t fret about it too much, it just comes with fiddling with old parts and who knows when it last was ridden. The spring may also be considered a wear item. At least it is relatively easy to replace and it didn´t break while riding, damaging something (or someone!) else.

I think AMP spare springs do come up for sale from time to time and should not be too expensive. Worth putting a wanted ad up with some pics of your forks as there were several versions.
Yep, thankyou with many bikes and several full builds of cars and countless machinery projects etc I am used to it, but not working with things I cant make or repair or buy easily even if a bit expensive, never an endgame with Land Rovers, Mini's , tractors etc..!
Anyhow kind of you to reply and I felt better for sharing as this was deeply dissapointing.
So fingers crossed I will do, and maybe one day this will happen. The spring must of been pivotting on the tiny bit of metal not discoloured for some time, in use.. as you say god knows how long ago.
I will add some pics on a wanted, I managed after a brew to summon up the courage to try and remove the drilled off remains of the canti cable stay bolt, which I had to drill from behind, a really slim elegant design but little room for error, until I remembered a little life lesson from my first job in a workshop 25yrs ago.. drill out three of the four mm of bolt, tap in a 1/4 drive square bit, carefully warm gently with the torch just a little and the difference between alloy and steel means pop out it unscrews, no damage to part! this has restored my hopes a little!

I'm a fan of amp forks, got a few spares to keep them going but not a spring I'm afraid.

They come up for sale, so keep.a lookout. I wonder if other options may work such as engine rocker springs?

I'm a fan of amp forks, got a few spares to keep them going but not a spring I'm afraid.

They come up for sale, so keep.a lookout. I wonder if other options may work such as engine rocker springs?
I thought to myself looks like a rocker spring, but with the lightness of the rest of the fork, I would not risk anything but genuine part for the job I dont think, I will be after a hard spring as I am not the lightest fellow, but as you say more saved searches across the platforms, which means I will probably end up with more Amp gear.. !

Back