Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

Wow this is an amazing turn around, i shall be keeping my eyes on this thread intently!!

Your making some real nice progress already " top job " :)...

I've just been looking at your pic's mate and compared to my FireMountain your frame is rust free :shock: so any way when are you doing a bit more work on the Exposif and are baby wipes easy or hard going on the rims as i'm going to get mine cleaned next week after i've sorted the purple beast ..

Wow, top job on the cranks :cool:

Wish I had the patience to do a proper resto.

Thanks all for the comments :D

Muddy paw":1nkp2o9y said:
are baby wipes easy or hard going on the rims ..

not exactly hard going but not as instant as a coat of paraffin ;)

Im not sure if i should strip and re grease the hubs as they feel smooth.
the rims and hubs were cleaned with paraffin and tyres cleaned with washing up liquid and a nail brush.
Here's a few before and afters ....

Re:

These are the kind of builds I like best. Resurrecting old bikes with cleaning products and elbow grease. Way more rewarding, and a hell of a lot cheaper, than throwing a load of nos parts at a mint frame (although I'm not against such builds).

Re: Re:

raidan73":3og0om2e said:
These are the kind of builds I like best. Resurrecting old bikes with cleaning products and elbow grease. Way more rewarding, and a hell of a lot cheaper, than throwing a load of nos parts at a mint frame (although I'm not against such builds).

Yep! i gotta agree with you 100% on that mate and i personally only feel the need to buy NOS parts when decent second hand parts aren't available and the existing parts are beyond repair or none original ..

Code:
enc said,
not exactly hard going but not as instant as a coat of paraffin :wink:

the rims and hubs were cleaned with paraffin and tyres cleaned with washing up liquid and a nail brush.

I'd just give the hubs a quick check to see what state the grease is in and if all looks well then leave the existing gunk in but if it appears to be breaking down then clean out the hubs and re-grease it or i can't imagine it being up to the job otherwise .

Those wheels look amazing although i think i may just give the wheels on my FireMountain a go with baby wipes for now as their no where near as bad as yours but failing that i've got some white spirit i'd like to try so i'll update you on how it goes in the week ..

Re: Re:

Muddy paw":1gn02vu2 said:
raidan73":1gn02vu2 said:

Yep! i gotta agree with you 100% on that mate and i personally only feel the need to buy NOS parts when decent second hand parts aren't available and the existing parts are beyond repair or none original ..

Code:
enc said,
not exactly hard going but not as instant as a coat of paraffin :wink:

I'd just give the hubs a quick check to see what state the grease is in and if all looks well then leave the existing gunk in but if it appears to be breaking down then clean out the hubs and re-grease it or i can't imagine it being up to the job otherwise .

Those wheels look amazing although i think i may just give the wheels on my FireMountain a go with baby wipes for now as their no where near as bad as yours but failing that i've got some white spirit i'd like to try so i'll update you on how it goes in the week ..

yeah i think you are right ... ill have a quick peep inside the hub.. keep us posted ..re the wheel cleaning.

Back