Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Really nice job getting the Explosif looking good again, compared to how it was its come along way. Great bikes i had a 91 and a 92 Pro sadly had to sell them to fund other stuff.

Reactions: enc
Stunning turnaround. I am embarking on a similar refurb of my 91 Cinder Cone, so I am reading this thread with interest!

I'm pretty sure I've decided on an Explosif for my next build/restoration! This is great inspiration!

I rode my friends 2006/7 Lava dome recently at a downhill park in Wales and it was so fun to ride, so now I'm on the hunt for a good steel frame to start from.

The Lava Dome had adjustuble dropouts for the rear wheel which seemed pretty cool because you could get 650b wheels in there, and from some research I found the Explosif had a similar feature around the same time, and apparently a better construction than the Lava Dome. So if anyone comes across one, let me know!

I've got a 2008 Explosif with the sliding dropouts. Not as light as earlier Explosives (mainly due to those hefty dropouts), but it's still a light bike. I've opted for V-brakes currently but it has provision for disks as well. Mine is built up with carbon forks and 1 x 9. I am considering building some 650b wheels for it in future if I get bored.

20220409_194422.jpg

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

Thanks all for the comments :D

not exactly hard going but not as instant as a coat of paraffin ;)

Im not sure if i should strip and re grease the hubs as they feel smooth.
the rims and hubs were cleaned with paraffin and tyres cleaned with washing up liquid and a nail brush.
Here's a few before and afters ....

You mention 'the rims and hubs were cleaned with paraffin' - how did you apply the paraffin to the hubs and freewheel? did you spray it on, then rinse off with water after letting it soak?

I've got a 2008 Explosif with the sliding dropouts. Not as light as earlier Explosives (mainly due to those hefty dropouts), but it's still a light bike. I've opted for V-brakes currently but it has provision for disks as well. Mine is built up with carbon forks and 1 x 9. I am considering building some 650b wheels for it in future if I get bored.

View attachment 618096
Oh wow that looks awesome - really clean! I'd love to find one in that colour.

My plan is to set one up as a XC/Trail bike, so I'll try and find some 120mm forks, 1x11 drive train, disc brakes and some decent wheels. Quite possibly with a dropper post, too. It's not very retro of me, but still! The goal is to get everything second hand to keep the costs down and that's also a part that I find really fun.

The biggest challenge I've had so far is finding good quality wheelsets in 27.5 that have QR hubs and don't cost the earth. I actually missed out on some Mavic Crossmax SLs yesterday on eBay that were a bit of a steal. Anything with Hope Pro 2 Evos would be great but the hope name really drives up the price (for good reason, let's be honest).

Tangentially, if anyone knows of common hubs that have adapters that go from 12x142 to QR readily available, I'd love to know! So far I've only confirmed that's the case with Mavic and Hope (anything not boost)!

You mention 'the rims and hubs were cleaned with paraffin' - how did you apply the paraffin to the hubs and freewheel? did you spray it on, then rinse off with water after letting it soak?
Just applied with paint brush then wiped off with a microfibre cloth. It’s messy! don’t over apply and do small sections at a time.

Reactions: JCS
Back